Barnsley - good place to live?

Thank you all for your input.

I was looking at houses in new developments in upper Kendray. I've read that few years back Kendray was a bit rough but now things have changed, new developments replaced council houses, crime rate has decreased etc.

What do you all think?

Cheers.

Its a lot cheaper than sheffield...good town centre/market.

A lot cheaper?

I haven't noticed much difference in pricing tbh.

Maybe I'm looking at wrong markets, shops etc.

Where is a lot cheaper?

Please advise.

This was posted on Facebook by a friend who lives in Kendray;

All is not well in Chaville-we got mums & dads leaving kids home alone for a few hours even if they r across street drinking and smoking...and we got dogs non stop bloody yapping cos they don't see beyond garden ever-Oh the joy!!! and If I wanted to go to bloody Magaluf I would buy a bloody ticket ggggrrrrrrr.

A lot cheaper?

I haven't noticed much difference in pricing tbh.

Maybe I'm looking at wrong markets, shops etc.

Where is a lot cheaper?

Please advise.

I meant things like house rentals....ive just got a brand new house for £495pcm...better than my current £600pcm in sheffield....way better house too...:hihi:

Thank you all for your input.

I was looking at houses in new developments in upper Kendray. I've read that few years back Kendray was a bit rough but now things have changed, new developments replaced council houses, crime rate has decreased etc.

What do you all think?

Cheers.

"Upper Kendray" Ha ha thats the funniest thing I ever heard, it now thinks it deserves upper and lower status!

Not laughing at you gugu but the wording really did make me laugh. I assume by upper they mean houses around Doncaster Road and Kendray hospital. I would not live there. No matter how much they told me the crime rate has dropped.

I would do about a mile maybe two in the opposite direction to town to Ardsley, quite a few new builds up that way, alot nicer place to live.

I love Barnsley and really miss it but as said like all places it has good and bad and I too would avoid kendray, Athersley, New Lodge, Lundwood and Grimethorpe. Barnsley market is not what it was but I still prefer it to Sheffield. Good luck!

"Upper Kendray" Ha ha thats the funniest thing I ever heard, it now thinks it deserves upper and lower status!

Not laughing at you gugu but the wording really did make me laugh. I assume by upper they mean houses around Doncaster Road and Kendray hospital. I would not live there. No matter how much they told me the crime rate has dropped.

Upper Kendray - this is the expression I've heard from a lady living there.

As in any other city there are good and bad places in Barnsley. I've heard people in Sheffield complaining about Manor Top, Firth Park and Parson Cross but on the other hand I know many people living there for years without one single issue. I think it's all about bad luck, being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Edited by gugu