Sheaf culvert history and construction

Does anybody know the history of the construction of the culvert which runs below the train station?

the reason I ask is that there are a number of different building styles in these pics

good question Strix! seen all the reports on there before and cant beleive some great building like that underground and out of sight! someone must have some detail on its construction

looks like it was reinforced recently

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=51176

As a kid I used to play in the river Sheaf near the end of Queens Road,

at the point where the river disappears from view on it's way to the Midland station.

I remember the entrance to the culvert at that point was reinforced with concrete,

that would have been around the mid 60's

Any idea to what extent and for what reason? And which bits were done later?

Purely a guess, and without looking anything up. I would expect that the station and rail lines would have been growing at that time and there would have been a great call for building land and for road widening etc. IIRC, the river is in covered culverts most of the way to Blonk Street. Even where it is not covered it is restrained by narrowish culverts. Again IIRC, you can see open topped sections from the bottom of Pond Hill, as the river passes below

Purely a guess, and without looking anything up. I would expect that the station and rail lines would have been growing at that time and there would have been a great call for building land and for road widening etc. IIRC, the river is in covered culverts most of the way to Blonk Street. Even where it is not covered it is restrained by narrowish culverts. Again IIRC, you can see open topped sections from the bottom of Pond Hill, as the river passes below

Here's an application by the Midland Railway Company,

for new streets, alterations and widening of streets in Sheffield,

The London Gazette, November 27 th, 1863

Archived