Docked tails on dogs

I'm sure I watched on a tv vet type show that there was some sort of loop hole that meant it was quite easy for this horrible practice to continue.

I think to was something to do with if the owner held a licence for a shot gun the dogs could be classed as 'working'. Not sure if this is true, I may have just made it up!

Seeing some dogs with tails seems strange after years of seeing them all with docked tails, I'm thinking about doberman's, rotties and spaniels. Saw a doberman the other day with a tail and it takes a few seconds to realise what it is! I suppose you end up thinking that they just don't have them, when in reality they have just been mutilated by breeders and others for years.

Dogs are meant to have tails...they are born with tails....what else would they wag with.

How barbaric is the tail docking of ANY dog.

I want to see how happy a dog is...with its tail swishing about in obvious glee :D

My springer was also docked when i got her, they told us a vet had done, didnt realise if its been done legally you should get paperwork to prove it. On her first vaccination the vet asked me for details of where i got her and if she had docking papers, he told me that if the rspca saw me they may even stop me in the street to get details off me as it is illiegal unless the owners of the parents have a shotgun licence as mike said.

Anything under 3 should have a tail IIRC. Tail damage can get the dog docked (it's amazing how many dogs are currently enduring this!!), it can be done in Ireland where it's legal, or if the dog is to be "worked". Now you tell me how many spaniels or boxers will be worked,even if you have a shotgun? Surprisingly working lurchers and border collies aren't docked, which means it's all down to breed standards as usual.

My Weimaraner had a docked tail when we adopted her - the breeder said it was done 'for their own safety, as they're such a giddy breed they can often snap their tails'. I didn't dispute this, but had my doubts. She's still a very expressive girl, even with her little stumpy tail!

So you think that some do?

I don't.

My wife does, as does no end of people who we speak to about our dogs. They understand why it's banned and wouldn't try to circumvent the law but they still prefer boxers and cockers without a tail.

Anything under 3 should have a tail IIRC. Tail damage can get the dog docked (it's amazing how many dogs are currently enduring this!!), it can be done in Ireland where it's legal, or if the dog is to be "worked". Now you tell me how many spaniels or boxers will be worked,even if you have a shotgun? Surprisingly working lurchers and border collies aren't docked, which means it's all down to breed standards as usual.

I don't like docking for any reason other than damage to the tail but there is a difference in the working environment of spanials compared to collies. The reason for docking was to prevent them getting their tails trapped in the brambles because they went in to get the pheasants.

Agrred, willman. All dogs should have a "wagger", not just those under 3.

MY rescued little Jack Russel girlie is only 2 1/2 but she was docked as a tiny, before I got her. :(

I do wish that they hadn't had her docked.

She hasn't got much of a wag, at all, sadly, but she can still express her happiness with the little stump she's got. it's interesting what someone said above, about leaving enough of a wag to haul the dog out of a rabbit warren, Trix hasn't even got a couple of inches of wag left. Certainly not enough to grab to haul her out of a warren, should the need arise.

Archived