Docked tails on dogs

Anything under 3 should have a tail IIRC. Tail damage can get the dog docked (it's amazing how many dogs are currently enduring this!!), it can be done in Ireland where it's legal, or if the dog is to be "worked". Now you tell me how many spaniels or boxers will be worked,even if you have a shotgun? Surprisingly working lurchers and border collies aren't docked, which means it's all down to breed standards as usual.
isnt that because their tail aids them in balance when running /turning ?

judging by everyones comments people want their dogs to have tails or aren't bothered either way so why does it still get done?:loopy:

The answer lays in a veterinary report on the effect of tail docking of dogs, published last month part funded by DEFRA. It examined the cases of 281 dogs with damaged tails from just 52 veterinary practices. According to the RCVS there are 3000 verified vet practices in the UK. If these 52 were representative of them all, then circa 16,000 dogs would have suffered tail injuries in the UK for this 12 month period and circa 5,000 would have undergone adult tail amputation! Even if it were 50% of this figure, this is nothing short of a scandal, resulting from an Act of Parliament which banned docking but was designed to protect the welfare of animals.

It also pointed out that tail damage was more likely to occur on undocked dogs in or around the home than during working.

Yes many people may prefer the look of a docked dog, but they also want to ensure its future wellbeing. It should only be carried out legally under current legislation but a repeal of the ban would ensure that 16,000 dogs a year do not have to undergo adult amputation!

The answer lays in a veterinary report on the effect of tail docking of dogs, published last month part funded by DEFRA. It examined the cases of 281 dogs with damaged tails from just 52 veterinary practices. According to the RCVS there are 3000 verified vet practices in the UK. If these 52 were representative of them all, then circa 16,000 dogs would have suffered tail injuries in the UK for this 12 month period and circa 5,000 would have undergone adult tail amputation! Even if it were 50% of this figure, this is nothing short of a scandal, resulting from an Act of Parliament which banned docking but was designed to protect the welfare of animals.

It also pointed out that tail damage was more likely to occur on undocked dogs in or around the home than during working.

Yes many people may prefer the look of a docked dog, but they also want to ensure its future wellbeing. It should only be carried out legally under current legislation but a repeal of the ban would ensure that 16,000 dogs a year do not have to undergo adult amputation!

I'm sorry, but in my opinion, that argument doesn't hold any water.

it's like saying "Babies shouldn't be taught to walk, as they might trip up as adults, and break their legs."

a dog is designed to have a "wag" which is why they have them...

I'm sorry, but in my opinion, that argument doesn't hold any water.

it's like saying "Babies shouldn't be taught to walk, as they might trip up as adults, and break their legs."

a dog is designed to have a "wag" which is why they have them...

Dogs were designed by man and traditionally docked breeds were always docked. Long tails were never part of the "design" and as a consequence, now forced to stay long, many breeds experience tail damage as their tails are wagged too enthusiastically (from the report) and lack sufficient protection (from the report). Breeding out these "undesirable" traits would take centuries and could change the whole dogs appearance.

Incidentally, babies born with extra digits have a band tied around them at the hospital in the same way as docking used to be performed.

Dogs were designed by man and traditionally docked breeds were always docked. Long tails were never part of the "design" and as a consequence, now forced to stay long, many breeds experience tail damage as their tails are wagged too enthusiastically (from the report) and lack sufficient protection (from the report). Breeding out these "undesirable" traits would take centuries and could change the whole dogs appearance.

Incidentally, babies born with extra digits have a band tied around them at the hospital in the same way as docking used to be performed.

i) dogs have had many flaws designed into them by man, (breathing and whelping difficulties to name but two) but the ability to communicate using their tails is an ability/ trait that dogs have had from before they evolved from the wolf.

ii) long tails are part of design, don't you only have to look at the German Shepherd Dog to see that?

iii) The tail is part of the dog's communication. never mind the "overenthusiastic wagging" :- what about the overenthusiastic docking, which left dogs' tails too short, and caused infections to get into the spinal column.

iv) You can't possibly believe that a dog's tail is equivalent to an extra digit on their hands.

(Oh, and no, if that should happen, the child has proper surgery, to remove it, not barbaric banding.

Dear Plain Talker

i)” before they evolved from the wolf” is a contraction in terms, its impossible

ii) the GSD is not and never has been docked - look at the Boxer if you want an example

iii) please quote the number of infections which got into the spinal cord, another ridiculous claim

iv) children born with extra digits DO have a band placed around them, check out your facts

v) You are so factually incorrect on everything you say, further replies to your ludicrous claims are not required. You are welcome to your views, but your claims are just not worth reading.

i onlt realised my springer had a quarter of her tail docked when i compared her tail with a friends springer, she still has her dew claws and shes been to the vet a few times for check ups and he's never said anything to me about the tail docking, at the end of the day it was done before you got the dog so its not your fault and there was nothing you could have done.
Brude's half sister, older than him by five months, was an only pup, and her mother didn't take to motherhood and bit her tail tip off. She now looks docked although beagles are never docked

Archived