Docked tails on dogs

I'm sorry, but in my opinion, that argument doesn't hold any water.

it's like saying "Babies shouldn't be taught to walk, as they might trip up as adults, and break their legs."

a dog is designed to have a "wag" which is why they have them...

That analogy doesn't work - when was the last time anybody had multiple amputations on the same leg after a break?

I'm surprised at you PT. Did you not read the thread on here from a couple of weeks ago about a member's dog currently going through this, losing more and more of its tail as each successive op fails to heal?

Just be thankful there isn't must ear docking in this country, chopping puppies ears to pieces to make them look 'hard' :roll:
Pics of american dogs with this done are quite disturbing. Without condoning the practice, there is/was still a reason for this being done, as fighting breeds would suffer from torn ears, so previous removal gave the opponent less to get hold of, and avoided the painful tears during battle

Dear Plain Talker

i)” before they evolved from the wolf” is a contraction in terms, its impossible

ii) the GSD is not and never has been docked - look at the Boxer if you want an example

iii) please quote the number of infections which got into the spinal cord, another ridiculous claim

iv) children born with extra digits DO have a band placed around them, check out your facts

v) You are so factually incorrect on everything you say, further replies to your ludicrous claims are not required. You are welcome to your views, but your claims are just not worth reading.

The boxer is a bad example too, as the boxer is a breed which can be born with a 'bob' tail

I've met a bulldog owner who found it necessary to explain her dog's lack of a tail to anybody she met for the first time thanks to the over-enthusiastic opinions of the pro-tail lobby. Her dog was born with a deformed tail (not uncommon in the breed) and it had to be removed when he was a few months old. This would have been easier and less painful if done in his first few weeks, but no, people with 'fluffy' opinions on dogs, who don't actually get to see the realities have won this one in a courtroom

thankyou, but should i really report this? its done now so what can they do? i was just worried that the vet would think i had anything to do with it, which i obviously didnt.

vet wont even ask i took my rottie for a vet check when i got him docked tail and all he never even menshond the tail at all so dont worry most russels are docked weather by breeder or vet

That analogy doesn't work - when was the last time anybody had multiple amputations on the same leg after a break?

I'm surprised at you PT. Did you not read the thread on here from a couple of weeks ago about a member's dog currently going through this, losing more and more of its tail as each successive op fails to heal?

Yes, I saw that thread, Strix, but I still don't like to see a dog that has no tail.

I'm prepared to be wrong on this, but I don't know if accidents like that one are common enough to warrant "pre-emptive docking", though.

Archived