Raw meat: would you, could you, do you?

A bloody good meal?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. A bloody good meal?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not never

Some meat, such as lamb, beef and pigeon are far better raw, and really aren't supposed to be cooked for too long... beef and lamb both just need searing and then a further 10 mins for a small joint - pigeon just flashed in a hot pan... Anyone who overcooks these meats are really just destroying the taste (or aren't certain that their meat is fresh enough!)

Some meat, such as lamb, beef and pigeon are far better raw, and really aren't supposed to be cooked for too long... beef and lamb both just need searing and then a further 10 mins for a small joint - pigeon just flashed in a hot pan... Anyone who overcooks these meats are really just destroying the taste (or aren't certain that their meat is fresh enough!)
depends on the cut, you couldn't just sear a shin of beef or a shoulder of lamb it would be inedible

depends on the cut, you couldn't just sear a shin of beef or a shoulder of lamb it would be inedible

Depends on how thin it's cut, although it's fair to say that cheap cuts need stewing... Just better not to buy cheap sometimes :)

Depends on how thin it's cut, although it's fair to say that cheap cuts need stewing... Just better not to buy cheap sometimes :)
I don't think it would matter how thin it was cut, it wouldn't be very pleasent. Those cheap cuts are the best ones anyway, they're the ones you need to show them a little love to get the best results and they pay you back in spades. Cheap cuts are the comfort food cuts.

I can eat raw fish as sashimi and I can eat raw molluscs like oysters and mussels, but not raw mammal. I tried Steak Tartare once in the Scandinavian style with a raw egg yolk on top of it, chopped raw onions, capers and lots of salt and pepper.

It was revolting and turned me vegetarian for three months. There was something about the cold pastiness of it in my mouth that made it impossible to swallow.

I love raw Black Pudding , skin still on with a little salt :love::love::love:

It's not raw. All black puddings are already cooked otherwise the pigs blood they are made out of wouldn't be coagulated.

So it's OK to eat just as bought from your butcher, although I prefer it grilled and hot.

As opposed to cutting into it and finding that every bit of flavour and all the texture has been cooked out of it and it could e used as shoe leather...

Don't know where you've eaten your well done steaks in the past but most of the ones I've had cooked this way have been very tasty :)

Steak, pork and chicken is sometimes eaten raw by yours truly. I prefer steak completely raw but sometimes when I go for a meal they insist it at least sees a flame.

I like pork and chicken partially cooked, I simply cant stomach it when its "Properly" cooked.

do you wash it down with a nice chianti and fava beans?

It's a little bit pretentious or condescending when you tell other people how they should have their meat cooked.

Sure, they're ruining it if they ask for fillet well done. But that's just your opinion.

How would you like it if you went to a restaurant or a friends and feeling vastly superior they ignored what you asked for and over cooked it? I'd be miffed, but several people have said they've refused to cook something as requested because they knew better. I'd submit that all you know is a touch of arrogance and a good way to loose friends.

Archived