Tory MP too drunk to vote

Guest sibon

I think he could have hit on a superb idea.

There have been MPs sitting in the chamber while drunk for generations. So often, in fact, that it had to be written into parliamentary protocol that no MP is allowed to accuse another of being drunk.

Clare Short, I recall, was reprimanded for accusing Alan Clark of being under the influence some years ago. He was actually as drunk as a skunk, but it was Mrs. Short that landed in trouble.

(Lest people think it's a Tory thing, remember that George Brown, the Labour Chancellor of the 60s, was probably the biggest drunkard to be elected in the last sixty years.)

Parliament handbook advises that MPs are often vain, drunk and plain stupid

MPs are often vain, drunk and plain stupid - according to an official handbook for office staff who start jobs in Parliament.

The Guide to Working for an MP is given to hundreds of secretaries, assistants and researchers when they arrive at Westminster for the first time.

It says they should prepare for a chaotic and difficult working life and it offers a "translators' guide" into what MPs say and what they mean.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

(Lest people think it's a Tory thing, remember that George Brown, the Labour Chancellor of the 60s, was probably the biggest drunkard to be elected in the last sixty years.)

Brown was frequently drunk but never Chancellor of the Exchequer.

I was reading the Daily Mail on the bus home.... this quote struck me:

'MPs old enough to know better were all over the Sloane Rangers who have come to work here as secretaries and researchers since David Cameron got in.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1293902/MPs-drunk-hour-drinking-session-voted-Budget.html#ixzz0tV9mJbPe

I don't think I have heard that expression since the Thatcher years.

Reminds me of

... :hihi:

Archived