Tory MP too drunk to vote

Guest sibon

how are the commons bars subsidised?

I only ask because the prices quoted in the DM article aren't too far off my local's prices, so if they're making a profit, you'd assume the commons bars are just selling 'at cost'...?

Guest sibon

I only ask because the prices quoted in the DM article aren't too far off my local's prices, so if they're making a profit, you'd assume the commons bars are just selling 'at cost'...?

You might also assume that Central London prices might be a tad higher than Portsmouth prices.

The bar is subsidised..

I'm struggling to understand why they have one at all. We have a tap, a kettle and a water cooler, where I work. Perhaps we all need to be more in it together.

You might also assume that Central London prices might be a tad higher than Portsmouth prices.

The bar is subsidised..

I'm struggling to understand why they have one at all. We have a tap, a kettle and a water cooler, where I work. Perhaps we all need to be more in it together.

That's fair enough - although I always assumed the reason prices were higher in central london was rents & rates, something which the commons shouldn't need to worry about.

In 2008-2009 the bars/cafes were subsidised to the tune of £6m (see here) - so yes, I'd suggest scrapping them and replacing with vending machines.

edit: It's nice to see they still have to pay rip off prices for crisps and mini chedders (and Schloer apparently!)

Guest sibon
That's fair enough - although I always assumed the reason prices were higher in central london was rents & rates, something which the commons shouldn't need to worry about.

In 2008-2009 the bars/cafes were subsidised to the tune of £6m (see here) - so yes, I'd suggest scrapping them and replacing with vending machines.

But only ones that break frequently:)

The bar at Moorfoot used to be subsidised as well at one time, I believe. It certainly wasn't when I first went in there, given the price. It went some years ago though.

The other, possibly more serious allegation regarding that debate was that through bluster, repetition and just plain borishness, MPs deliberately made the debate go past 2.00am so that they could claim overnight allowances.

I was reading the Daily Mail on the bus home.... this quote struck me:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1293902/MPs-drunk-hour-drinking-session-voted-Budget.html#ixzz0tV9mJbPe

I don't think I have heard that expression since the Thatcher years.

Reminds me of

... :hihi:

For years I used to think Sloane Rangers were a non league football team.

The bar is subsidised..

I'm with you on this, and considering what MP's get paid in both salary and expenses, it's only fair that they should pay the same prices for alcohol in Central London as everyone else as it's not like they can't afford £3.30 for a pint of beer (which is what I was paying for a pint of Kipling last time I was in SW1).

Archived