Battle of Britain Day

Is today, from what I read.

I can remember this day, as a lad in the 50's as there used to be a fly over by a Lancaster Bomber and some Spitfires.

In those days kids were never told anything by their parents, so on the street telegraph, we heard it was Battler Britain Day.

Battler Britain was a hero in The Eagle, a soldier who feared nothing.

So we all thought it was in commemoration of him. :hihi:

With thick kids like us, no wonder the country is going to the dogs. :D

They saved us from a fate worse than anything that befell us before 1979.

That was to be the death knell off our country.

Don't use those brave lads to score cheap political points. It's disrespectful to their memories.

Battle of Britain day is the 15th September.

What is the Battle of Britain Day and when is it?

September 15th is Battle of Britain Day and it is commemorated every year on this date.

The decisive day of the Battle of Britain was September 15th 1940. The Germans undertook another massive assault during WW!! which, they considered, would finally shatter British resistance and open the path for a sucessful invasion of Britain.

LINK

Today is the Memorial Day, held every year on the closest Sunday to the date of the start of the Battle of Britain (July 10 1940).

Is it just me or are military celebrations and memorials given more publicity now than in the past? There hardly seems to be a week goes by without some military anniversary in the news.

Is this connected to us currently being at war?

Archived