Is Raoul Moat a modern day anti-hero?

With all respect Samuelk, you've been watching too much Rambo. He shot two people, and then took another opportunist shot at a stationary policeman. He wasn't a war vet, he had no nobility, he was a wife and kiddie beater who probably had an IQ equivalent to most people's toe nails.

Let's not eulogise him. Many people carry what seem like unbearable burdens, at times. You don't go shooting innocent people as a release. Most people of conscience just shoot themselves.

I do not understand how my post attracted that retort. I realise that he was no Rambo, but any man woman or child can point a gun at someone and kill them upon pulling the trigger. That makes them extremely dangerous, the fact that he was not the brightest star in the galaxy also makes him unpredictable.:roll:

I do not understand how my post attracted that retort. I realise that he was no Rambo, but any man woman or child can point a gun at someone and kill them upon pulling the trigger. That makes them extremely dangerous, the fact that he was not the brightest star in the galaxy also makes him unpredictable.:roll:

Fair enough, I'm just saying he wasn't so skilled to appear in any town and village in England. No one would be. I'm questioning why he was national news, and more so, why he was national news for so long and reported with such intensity.

There was no decorum, or rationality, or judgement made in how the events were relayed to us.

I half expected a news announcement from the BBC telling all of us to stay inside. I just thought the reports of the events were overplayed and overwrought and, unforgivably, over romanticised.

Fair enough, I'm just saying he wasn't so skilled to appear in any town and village in England. No one would be. I'm questioning why he was national news, and more so, why he was national news for so long and reported with such intensity.

There was no decorum, or rationality, or judgement made in how the events were relayed to us.

I half expected a news announcement from the BBC telling all of us to stay inside. I just thought the reports of the events were overplayed and overwrought and, unforgivably, over romanticised.

I do not understand.:huh:

OK. Why couldn't he?

Well, let's say you wanted to get a hundred miles from where you are now to a fixed destination.

You can't use transport.

You're tired and hungry.

You're only survival skills are what you've picked up from "How to Survive in the Wilderness" ten years earlier in Oxfam.

You've just shot your missus and her boyfriend dead.

The police know the area you're in.

They have helicopters and heat detecting equipment.

You're ginger with a dodgy haircut, and insane.

There's no chance of passing yourself off as the new postie for the next 20 years.

You're best mate is Gazza, who insists on making contact, even though you're desperate to remain hidden.

equals

capture. :D

Because we would recieve full live uncensored coverage of the story.

Why not just watch "kiss my whip" to get off?

You seem to have an infatuation and unhealthy appetite for the need to watch REAL violence....

Advice: Burn your hard-drive.:loopy:

As for him being an anti hero...no he isn't. I have nothing in common or able to identify him with. No doubt there are those that will because in some way they can identify a part of him within themselves.

Moats brother seemed to feel the press coverage was grossly intrusive and damaging.

It concerns me that the police allowed the public and press so close to the scene.

It concerns me that not even one independent member of the press was allowed in the vicinty during the stand-off. This is a man who had declared war on the police. Even reporters are allowed in warzones. The press should not be dictated to by the police. The police are a public body and should be open to the same public scrutiny as any other. I am not condoning what Moat did in any way, but I want to know for definite that the police treated him reasonably, acted professionally, etc. Can we really trust the IPCC?

Archived