Is Raoul Moat a modern day anti-hero?

Fair enough, I'm just saying he wasn't so skilled to appear in any town and village in England. No one would be. I'm questioning why he was national news, and more so, why he was national news for so long and reported with such intensity.

Up until the point where they had him locked down around Rothbury, he could have appeared anywhere. After that point, given that there had already been an enormous amount of media coverage, it was fairly inevitable that there would continue to be, no matter how ridiculous it might get. ("And now, breaking news; there has still been nothing happened since we had breaking news ten minutes ago.")

Once he was known to be locked down, all I ever did was to check the headlines every few hours to see if he was dead yet. I saw no point at all in having continuous coverage.

Because we would recieve full live uncensored coverage of the story.

I think you're predilictionfor perving on violence is a pretty poor reason. It doesn't need to be broadcast live. If you need to see killings to get your end away, stick your doubtless revolting DVD or cable snuff or whatever you need to get your jollies.

Was Moat a modern anti-hero ? More like a modern nutter, really. Unable to cope with a broken relationship, addicted to steroids, a bully, semi-literate, rambling, Gazza as a friend, probably dreamed of being a Rambo ?? He was just a rather extreme example of modern British ' Youf. '

For the last 30 years at least, our ' Youf ' has been cossetted and told they can virtually do no wrong. Punishment for bad behaviour is a joke. [ See the ' tough ' football fans when they get clobbered by, say, a Spanish or Turkish copper for smashing a cafe up or something ; almost crying like babies and absolutely dumbfounded that someone could hit THEM ! ] So, there are millions of potential ' Moats ' in the U.K [ and America.....et....al ]. It 's part of the price we pay for the Nanny Society and treating the young with kid gloves.

Was Moat a modern anti-hero ? More like a modern nutter, really. Unable to cope with a broken relationship, addicted to steroids, a bully, semi-literate, rambling, Gazza as a friend, probably dreamed of being a Rambo ?? He was just a rather extreme example of modern British ' Youf. '

For the last 30 years at least, our ' Youf ' has been cossetted and told they can virtually do no wrong. Punishment for bad behaviour is a joke. [ See the ' tough ' football fans when they get clobbered by, say, a Spanish or Turkish copper for smashing a cafe up or something ; almost crying like babies and absolutely dumbfounded that someone could hit THEM ! ] So, there are millions of potential ' Moats ' in the U.K [ and America.....et....al ]. It 's part of the price we pay for the Nanny Society and treating the young with kid gloves.

Wow you really believe all that stuff they wrote about his personal life in the press?

Well they are still writing it now. All these new "revelations" from "close inside sources".

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_in_steroids_that_get_you_addicted

People who get addicted to steroids are the type of people who can get addicted to anything.

All well said posts Darth,,, This person had dared to threaten and challenge the police and had shown he could deliver the goods. I do not condone what he did but look at the bigger picture. Maybe the Police were claiming all along that they wanted him to come quietly when they really in their hearts wanted to see him looking like a cullender??

The man was of no insignificance to me nor a threat, he was to the Police.

Did they lay the foundations to his end by reinforcing their corner stating he was now a public threat?

As has been said on this forum several times we basically live in a Police state now especially since the terrorist attacks of this decade.

I feel the crux of the matter is what REALLY happened away from prying eyes and what more video the public have got.

No i'm not a Police hater.... i just like to see fair play and truthfulness if at all possible, the same they demand from us...

Archived