Over protective, over cautious parents or just real?

Your point is a bit confusing.

Are you saying that you should be told if there is a (convicted?) paedophile living near you?

Or are you saying that there is one on the run in Leeds and you should know?

Or are you saying that there is one on the run that the police know is living round the corner and that they somehow aren't taking him / her away?

No, the point I am making is that if a criminal of a dangerous nature to the public such as murderers rapists and pedaphiles have been caught for their crimes and sentenced, but are on the run, that I think the police should allow it to be made public so that people are aware (that they are on the run)

I dont think the one I mentioned is on the run in Leeds, I think the incident happened there.

Precisely the point. This information has been publicly available since the day of his supposed appearance, but the BBC chose not to report it. Why are you blaming the police for this?

Well its not so much that I am blaming the police for anything, they didnt commit the crime, im interested to know if they inform the public of such information, or is 3 wks later about right..thats all.

Guest sibon
Well its not so much that I am blaming the police for anything, they didnt commit the crime, im interested to know if they inform the public of such information, or is 3 wks later about right..thats all.

The answer will be different in each case. The police will balance the risk of scaring the public, or prompting vigilante action, against the risk to the public.

Not all convicted paedophiles are immediately dangerous to the public, the same is true of murderers. It all depends upon what they have done, why they did it and if they are likely to do it again.

You've got two choices really. Either trust the police to do their job, or pop down to the tin foil hat shop and ask for a fitting.

If by "inform the public" you mean that they should be leaflet-dropping the area, going around with loudspeakers or something ... well, they still haven't done that. Nor will they.

I don't know why you keep mentioning a three-week period. That has nothing at all to do with the police. The BBC can, by and large, report whatever they see fit to report, whenever they choose to report it.

If by "inform the public" you mean that they should be leaflet-dropping the area, going around with loudspeakers or something ... well, they still haven't done that. Nor will they.

I don't know why you keep mentioning a three-week period. That has nothing at all to do with the police. The BBC can, by and large, report whatever they see fit to report, whenever they choose to report it.

So are you saying that 3 wks is about right then?

Three weeks is an irrelevance. Why do you keep bringing it up?

That's puzzling me, too.

I'm also puzzled why the OP can't seem to grasp the simple fact that the police haven't been "hiding" what happened, and that it's the media who have chosen not to report what's going on.

I really cannot believe that the OPs thinks the minute any offender absconds, whether a paedophile or murder or whatever, the police should immediately start shouting the fact from the rooftops and sending people into a panic.

If there is real and immediate danger to the public, I'm damn sure the police do call press conferences, etc.

The answer will be different in each case. The police will balance the risk of scaring the public, or prompting vigilante action, against the risk to the public.

Not all convicted paedophiles are immediately dangerous to the public, the same is true of murderers. It all depends upon what they have done, why they did it and if they are likely to do it again.

You've got two choices really. Either trust the police to do their job, or pop down to the tin foil hat shop and ask for a fitting.

Thankyou kindly, this is what I was suspecting, that in some cases the police may think about the consiquences for the person on the run/ what kind of danger they are to the public.

I have a friend who used to live next door to a convicted pedaphile, she had 2kids and we were all aware of him and his past, he was no longer a danger apparantly, and indeed he never did anything along those lines to suggest to her that he was, so I get that certain people may have posed a problem before where they no longer do, but I was just wondering at what point do the police.....No the police/media decide that we should know. For example, someone who has recently raped a child and is now on the run, I feel is a danger and I dont know why we sometimes dont hear about it until ages after, for our own safety or our kids if it involves pedaphiles, and just so that people can report any sightings.

... but I was just wondering at what point do the police.....No the police/media decide that we should know.

The police don't get to make that decision; everything that happens in a court is public knowledge immediately it has happened, and anyone who cares to know can go to the court and find it out.

The media don't decide what we should know at all; they decide what they think will attract viewers/readers.

Archived