Loud car & bike exhausts - should the police take more action?

Bikes are only dangerous if you ride them like an idiot or because most car drivers cannot see further than the end of their bonnet. I have definately noticed less drivers pulling out or attempting to pull out on me since i fitted the loud exhaust. I will keep my loud exhaust and yes you are entitled to your opinion even if its not worth reading.

Those drivers cannot hear your exhaust, it`s pedestrians and people trying to sleep or just sit out in their gardens trying to get as much peace and quiet as living in the city actually allows, who can.

You`re trying to justify inflicting your loud exhaust on thousands of other people who don`t want to hear it.

When I last looked that was the definition of ignorance.

I would certainly agree that the most significant effect on a bike riders safety was how slowly/carefully they ride. The problem is there are loads of riders who do not have the self control to ride in a safe manner.

This is the law in the UK and EU on the subject. It is illegal to replace a standard exhaust system if the replacement makes more noise than the original. The police have the equipment and power to deal with nuicases and impose on the spot fines.

QUOTE..

The external noise emitted by passenger cars has been controlled since 1929 when the Motor Cars (Excessive Noise) regulations were introduced. New cars are now required to meet Europe-wide noise limits. These have been progressively reduced from 82 decibels (dB(A)) in 1978 to the current limit of 74 dB(A) established in 1996. This means it would take 7 new vehicles to make the same amount of noise as one vehicle that just meets the pre-1978 limits. Information on the level of noise recorded for new models of cars at their type approval test is also listed in the data table.

When looking at this information please note that off-road vehicles are allowed to be 1dB(A) louder, as are direct injection diesels. These allowances are cumulative, so the limit for an off-road vehicle with a direct injection diesel engine is 76 dB(A).

The noise levels quoted above are the maximum levels that are permitted for new vehicle type. Many vehicles produce lower levels of noise, and it is illegal to modify the exhaust system of a vehicle to make it noisier than the level recorded for that model at type approval.

This is the law in the UK and EU on the subject. It is illegal to replace a standard exhaust system if the replacement makes more noise than the original. The police have the equipment and power to deal with nuicases and impose on the spot fines.

QUOTE..

The external noise emitted by passenger cars has been controlled since 1929 when the Motor Cars (Excessive Noise) regulations were introduced. New cars are now required to meet Europe-wide noise limits. These have been progressively reduced from 82 decibels (dB(A)) in 1978 to the current limit of 74 dB(A) established in 1996. This means it would take 7 new vehicles to make the same amount of noise as one vehicle that just meets the pre-1978 limits. Information on the level of noise recorded for new models of cars at their type approval test is also listed in the data table.

When looking at this information please note that off-road vehicles are allowed to be 1dB(A) louder, as are direct injection diesels. These allowances are cumulative, so the limit for an off-road vehicle with a direct injection diesel engine is 76 dB(A).

The noise levels quoted above are the maximum levels that are permitted for new vehicle type. Many vehicles produce lower levels of noise, and it is illegal to modify the exhaust system of a vehicle to make it noisier than the level recorded for that model at type approval.

Could you clarify at what engine rpm the measurements should be made, and also at what distance and angle from the exhaust pipe?

QUOTE..

Thanks for that info.

The thing is that someone should give it to the police, and they should actually use it. As I posted earlier, in the last year South Yorkshire police have only prosecuted 7 (that`s seven, not seven hundred, not seventy, seven.....) people for a excessively loud exhaust.

And motorbikes, the worst offenders for excessive noise, none at all, repeat none at all. That, is an absolute disgrace and I want some answers (from my MP, from the Cief Constable and from the transport minister) as to why that is the cxase.

Thanks for that info.

The thing is that someone should give it to the police, and they should actually use it. As I posted earlier, in the last year South Yorkshire police have only prosecuted 7 (that`s seven, not seven hundred, not seventy, seven.....) people for a excessively loud exhaust.

And motorbikes, the worst offenders for excessive noise, none at all, repeat none at all. That, is an absolute disgrace and I want some answers (from my MP, from the Cief Constable and from the transport minister) as to why that is the cxase.

It is covered by ISO 5130:2007

The type approval is at 3 different engine speeds and measured with the engine running under load. That establishes the base noise level for each type of vehicle. The police test is a static test that is designed to give a reading corresponding to the above but carried out at the roadside without the engine under load.

If the police check a vehicle that they deem to be too noisy they are empowered to apply an on the spot fine. Of course the vehicle owner need not accept the OTS fine and can contest the decission in court and is then liable to receive a fine far larger than the OTS penalty and have substantial costs as well.

If the police check a vehicle that they deem to be too noisy they are empowered to apply an on the spot fine.
But are they empowered to rip off the overloud exhaust and trample it underfoot?

And drag out any boom boxes in the boot and drive over them with the miscreants own vehicle?

And if they're caught having replaced any of the said items, the car taken to a scrap yard and crushed in front of their very eyes?

That's what's actually needed to reduce the nuisance. :)

But are they empowered to rip off the overloud exhaust and trample it underfoot?

And drag out any boom boxes in the boot and drive over them with the miscreants own vehicle?

And if they're caught having replaced any of the said items, the car taken to a scrap yard and crushed in front of their very eyes?

That's what's actually needed to reduce the nuisance. :)

If a person is stopped for having a car that doesn't comply with RTA requirements the owner will not be able to drive it away in which case the police would presumably remove it to the pound where it would remain until it was collected on a trailer by someone contracted to make it comply.

lol, were you born a grumpy old man? I don't mind the pimped rides. I used to have one myself, a white pimped-up Lada hehe, how bad is that? :blush:

The problem is the unnecessary noise and Subarus are amongst the worst culprits. I mean, what are they for, bloody noisy things, sounds like the exhaust fell off em. :D

As for the bikes, how does sticking a rag up the exhaust to make it deafen everyone within a mile and make babies cry, save the riders life? As for pedstrians, we can HEAR you long before we can SEE you, so not our lives being saved. Loud pipes are more more to get you killed by daggers, than anything, imo!

I feel so much better for that :rant: Thank you!

I drive a rare car and get very upset when see nice old cars being ruined, i have been known to become apoplectic at the destruction of beautiful old classic cars in films.:( Does that make me a grumpy old man?

The problem is the unnecessary noise and Subarus are amongst the worst culprits. I mean, what are they for, bloody noisy things, sounds like the exhaust fell off em. :D

I feel so much better for that :rant: Thank you!

North Yorkshire Police - Subaru Impreza

http://www.ukemergency.co.uk/police/dscd0742.jpg

http://www.ukemergency.co.uk/police/dscd0743.jpg

I agree we should get these noisy buggers off the roads!! :hihi::hihi::hihi:

Archived