Loud car & bike exhausts - should the police take more action?

I have to say the exhaust on my car is quite loud @ 105Db, but it is the standard exhaust as fitted at the factory.

I do try to be considerate to my neighbours and not drive it before 7:30AM though.

I'm also very careful when passing horses and (most) cyclists to keep the revs / noise down.

Yes those Smart cars are really something :hihi:

They are very useful as they point out to the police which cars are driven by morons and need to be pulled over for checks. They then have an excuse to check for everything like, blacked out windows, insurance, drugs, knives, and vehicle roadworthyness.

How else are the police going to spot these folks?

PS. Rule of thumb says. Biggest exhaust smallest engine. Most noise least power. Biggest mouth smallest...

Made me laugh - so true. :hihi: We have a neighbour with one of those. I just put it down to him being not very bright.

I know it makes me sound old, but every time I hear one of these bikes or cars with a loud exhaust my first thought that I can type on the forum is "I couldn't be bothered driving that more than about half a mile" Seriously, they're loud to us - how much worse must it be if you're in the wretched thing? Not only are you (probably) in a Citroen Saxo, but you're in a really annoyingly loud Saxo and everyone is looking at you!

I know it makes me sound old, but every time I hear one of these bikes or cars with a loud exhaust my first thought that I can type on the forum is "I couldn't be bothered driving that more than about half a mile" Seriously, they're loud to us - how much worse must it be if you're in the wretched thing? Not only are you (probably) in a Citroen Saxo, but you're in a really annoyingly loud Saxo and everyone is looking at you!

Ha, we must be old mate! He's probably deaf now, hope someone goes on his washing line and nicks his white socks, trackie bottoms and caps!

Can you buy a Zinger?

When the exhaust was blowing on my Fiesta I felt like a chav, I didn't like it.

Big exhausts are daft on small cars, my OH has a bigger exhaust on his ZS, but its not overly loud, its only slightly louder than normal cars when I hear him pull up outside the house.

if its so early in the mornings i'm sure you could report it as some kind of public nuisence. exhausts do have to be under a certain level with mots now or will be very soon - last year i had a mazda with a stainless steel twin and was told that by next MOT it could end up failing on it as it was quite loud.

big/loud exhausts alone dont generally bother me, on some cars they can look a little stupid but thats on the owner, however at such an early time in the morning though i'd be pretty annoyed to be woken up!

if its so early in the mornings i'm sure you could report it as some kind of public nuisence. exhausts do have to be under a certain level with mots now or will be very soon - last year i had a mazda with a stainless steel twin and was told that by next MOT it could end up failing on it as it was quite loud.

big/loud exhausts alone dont generally bother me, on some cars they can look a little stupid but thats on the owner, however at such an early time in the morning though i'd be pretty annoyed to be woken up!

I don't understand why you'd want to pay good money for something that makes your car annoying to everyone else, louder for you to be in, more expensive to insure and unsuitable for use at certain times of day.

Archived