Loud car & bike exhausts - should the police take more action?

Why is that, please explain to the world your immense knowledge of engines and performance and what can be done to make power in cars.

I like how you've actually ignored my post. You do know what an RX7 is right?

You do know the difference between a performance car and a 1.2L chav-mobile?

Oh I see I am dealing with Sid the Sexist here am I. You think no one who isn't male can know about cars. I know enough about them not to have lumbered myself with a Mazda.:hihi:

Right..

Mazda RX7. Obsolete 2 seater rotary engined pile of junk. Uses oil and petrol as though there is no tomorrow and would probably fold up like a Reliant Robin if involved in an accident.

It was probably a fairly advanced concept in its day, but there are so many better cars on the road these days it is difficult to imagine why anyone would want one. Although I am sure that with the right exhaust they can be made to make a lot of noise, which appeals to some types of folk.

Do you know the difference between a thread about loud exhausts and your own personal grandstand.

Incidentally you seem to confuse noise with power. The Bentley Azure produces 650 BHP and is hardly audible.

Haha while I do find your post most hilarious and do agree r.e. 'rotary engined junk', stainless exhausts ARE often added for performance gains and sadly are also often louder than standard.

I'm sure if people could afford to have Bentley tune their car and make up an extremely quiet performance stainless system, they would ;)

Some of us just want an exhaust that'll last as well!

Haha while I do find your post most hilarious and do agree r.e. 'rotary engined junk', stainless exhausts ARE often added for performance gains and sadly are also often louder than standard.

I'm sure if people could afford to have Bentley tune their car and make up an extremely quiet performance stainless system, they would ;)

Some of us just want an exhaust that'll last as well!

I couldn't agree more. This thread was originally about some nutter waking people up at 5am with his exhaust, not about cars that have a stainless exhaust and make a pleasant burble. It just seemed that the thread was being hijacked.

I note that whilst the Bentley is probably the most powerful car you can buy off the peg and is one of the quietest, Pizza delivery bikes are some of the least powerful and noisiest. But there again the loudest voice in a pub rarely belongs to the most intelligent person.

I couldn't agree more. This thread was originally about some nutter waking people up at 5am with his exhaust, not about cars that have a stainless exhaust and make a pleasant burble. It just seemed that the thread was being hijacked.

I note that whilst the Bentley is probably the most powerful car you can buy off the peg and is one of the quietest, Pizza delivery bikes are some of the least powerful and noisiest. But there again the loudest voice in a pub rarely belongs to the most intelligent person.

First all I apologise if you thought I was assuming women know nothing about cars, that's not what I think at all. Plenty of friends in car clubs I'm in love nothing better than working on their own cars. I wish more of my male friends would take as much of an interest in their own cars, most wouldn't even know how to check their oil.

Secondly, I was not trying to take over a thread. It was about loud exhausts and the same happens as always where everyone that has a vaguely loud exhaust is branded a burberry wearing chav who owns some 1L Corsa or Saxo when it's not the case. I just get rather annoyed that every modified car thread on this forum seems to head that way. Incidentally I don't have a loud exhaust.

I have no probs anyone disliking the RX7, the world would be a decidely boring place if we liked the same things. It's still winning Japanese Super GT races 18 years after it came out so it doesn't do too bad.

And yes loud doesn't necessarily equate to power but in a lot of cases it does. Bentley plough plenty of money into making the perfect exhaust for both performance and noise. Unfortunately we can't all afford Bentleys and straight through exhausts tend to be a bit loud.

So Uptowngirl I didn't mean any disrespect. We all have opinions and ours obviously differ.

First all I apologise if you thought I was assuming women know nothing about cars, that's not what I think at all. Plenty of friends in car clubs I'm in love nothing better than working on their own cars. I wish more of my male friends would take as much of an interest in their own cars, most wouldn't even know how to check their oil.

Secondly, I was not trying to take over a thread. It was about loud exhausts and the same happens as always where everyone that has a vaguely loud exhaust is branded a burberry wearing chav who owns some 1L Corsa or Saxo when it's not the case. I just get rather annoyed that every modified car thread on this forum seems to head that way. Incidentally I don't have a loud exhaust.

I have no probs anyone disliking the RX7, the world would be a decidely boring place if we liked the same things. It's still winning Japanese Super GT races 18 years after it came out so it doesn't do too bad.

And yes loud doesn't necessarily equate to power but in a lot of cases it does. Bentley plough plenty of money into making the perfect exhaust for both performance and noise. Unfortunately we can't all afford Bentleys and straight through exhausts tend to be a bit loud.

So Uptowngirl I didn't mean any disrespect. We all have opinions and ours obviously differ.

Hey that's OK. I got a little overwould myself.

I have been involved with cars and engines since I was a child. My father is a motor dealer and raced and rallied 2002 BMWs in the 1970s & 80s. I raced formula Karts and rebuilt my own engines. 100cc 33 bhp at 15,500 rpm. I also helped build a Lotus 7 with a Cosworth 2.2 engine to which I fitted DFV cams. I just get a little wound up when blokes assume I am only good for making the tea.

I am currently into bikes.

You are quite correct in what you say that some people just have loud exhausts on thier cars for show! I call them the look at me brigade! Usually 1.2 corsas, Pug 206's, small engined Astras or small engines Focus's (but as always there are exceptions to the rule)

Me personally i went down the stainless steel sports exhaust (not the drainpipe chav backbox & believe me people there is a difference) because i've gone through 2 original backboxes in no time at all. Not caused by corrosion but all the pot holes & speed bumps, literally smashing the baffle plates off their welds so you have to drive around with vibrating exhaust sounds, lack of back pressure & no power. My exhaust is more akin to a burbly sound rather than a loud flippin racket that some seem to make!

I had one pass me the other day (& my car has a sports exhaust on) & I had the windows up (air con on), radio on & his / her exhaust still nearly made my ears bleed.

Another point of note:- I was sat in my house a few months back & I could hear a deep burbling noise whilst sat in my front room watching the tv (the windows were closed & I've double glazing). It was the drainpipe exhaust on the Police persuit Mitsubishi Evo police car sat outside ticking over! :hihi:

They are very useful as they point out to the police which cars are driven by morons and need to be pulled over for checks. They then have an excuse to check for everything like, blacked out windows, insurance, drugs, knives, and vehicle roadworthyness.

How else are the police going to spot these folks?

PS. Rule of thumb says. Biggest exhaust smallest engine. Most noise least power. Biggest mouth smallest...

yes, because we are all criminals if we drive modified cars-idiot. there are many makes and models of motorbike's and quad's and some top of range cars that have extremely loud exhaust's as standard and nobody batter's an eyelid yet try to enhance your own car to something you would actually enjoy to drive and you [removed] the "boring/lifeless/ignorant/cant stand to see anyone else happy police who think wearing a cap is terrorism :suspect:

Archived