WOW Balls. Are they a risk to the public health.

At the weekend I went to a fun day at the canal basin in Sheffield. It was a fantastic day out with bands playing and loads of activities for the kids. I was particularly fascinated by the WOW Balls.

http://www.wowballs.co.za/

These large inflatable spheres were floating around on a dock area of the canal filled with kids having a great time. After 5 minutes the ball was dragged back to shore and the next child sealed in. I thoughtit looked wonderful until some wag said they are OK until someone passes wind.

It just got me thinking about the Swine Flu scare adverts a few months ago, and how these things could spread a pandemic very quickly and folk rolled around on the plastic interior.

Do they pose a health threat? I note that some papers were again warning the Swine Flu is again gaining ground.

the child in me is laughing at the idea of someone unsuspecting, getting into the ball after the previous occupant has broken wind. :hihi:

It made me wonder as well. Would you hear it when the thing was unzipped to change occupants? Then after you realised what would go through your mind knowing that it couldn't start to disipate for 5 minutes.

the child in me is laughing at the idea of someone unsuspecting, getting into the ball after the previous occupant has broken wind. :hihi:
I am, as far as i know, the only adult who went in a wowball at the fair on the keys this weekend. The kid who came out of the ball i was in stank of sweat, but the interior of ball was fine. I think most odours are flushed out when the balls are deflated to allow exit.

This thread has got to be a wind-up. How is getting into one of these things any different from getting on a bus, for example? Except it's probably a much more pleasant experience.

Generally speaking people on a bus are not sealed into a plastic greenhouse nor do they spend their entire journey with their face and hands stuck into the same bit of floor as the previous passenger. I have to admit that that might not be the case on the last bus home.

Archived