How early should one get to the airport before departure time?

It varies depending on where you are flying and from which airport - your airline, or travel agent, should have given you a minimum.

I always arrive three to four hours before flight time, so that even if there's a problem I am not going to end up being rushed. It usually means I'm lounging around bored for two hours, but I've never missed a flight yet.

It varies depending on where you are flying and from which airport - your airline, or travel agent, should have given you a minimum.

I always arrive three to four hours before flight time, so that even if there's a problem I am not going to end up being rushed. It usually means I'm lounging around bored for two hours, but I've never missed a flight yet.

me too I cant stand been rushed. I have been known to get there 5-6 hours before so i can have a meal etc and board the plane totally chilled out and relaxed

No wonder the airports are always heaving with people if you are getting there 5-6 hours before and hanging around when there's no need to :loopy:

2 hours before take off is plenty of time :)

how is arriving 2 hours before take off plenty of time when check in is usually at least 2 hours prior to flight? i'd say that was cutting it pretty fine esp if you have to find where you are going, queue etc. they wont let you in if you are even just a few mins late for check in - so yes you do need to allow plenty of time! i wouldnt go so far as 5-6 hours personally but it depends on the actual stated times, i think trying to arrive an hour before you need to check in by is probably enough to cover you for most holdups.

also, just to point out when you book a hol/flights, pretty sure they do actually state what time you need to check in by

how is arriving 2 hours before take off plenty of time when check in is usually at least 2 hours prior to flight? .....

Which flights close their check-in 2 hours before departure?

I work on 2 hours for long-dstance, 21/2 for USA and 1 hour for Europe.

Having said that, I usually put 30 minutes extra on travel time to the airport and that adds some extra slack as well.

Not to mention, when going by train I rarely catch the last possible one (as it might be cancelled) so that gives slack too.

2 hours before take off is plenty of time :)

Only if you get a clear run. If security decide to inspect your belongings, and there's been a cancelled flight and the check-in desks are busy, you can easily miss the flight allowing only two hours. My sister found that out to her cost.

I fly out of Atlanta airport often,largest in the US, I get there at least 2/3 hours ahead only because I love the airport, it's full of shops and restaurants, I have a meal and always take an empty shopping bag with me which is full by the time I get to customes :) when military troops walk through the airport everyone stops and applauds them, you can hear the clapping continuing as they walk further through the crowds...I love it :love:

I never arrive too early, probably 2 hrs before sometimes less. Never missed a flight but been close once or twice. Latest holiday my wife finished work at 12.30 in Sheffield and we flew from LBA at 15.10. Got there at about 14.00, meet and greet for the car, no queue at check-in and only had to wait 30 mins in the crowded Departure lounge before being called for priority booking for the flight. Far less stressful especially with 3 kids.

Archived