What can I do about DOMS?

Delayed onset muscle soreness... it's really annoying me now. Every time I go to the gym, I can't walk properly for the next 2 days. I stretch properly before and after but because I'm training to build muscle I have to push quite heavy weights. One piece of advice I've been given is to eat something high in protein immediately after training, but because I go very early in the morning I don't really feel like eating much after. I've tried drinking For Goodness Shakes after training, but that didn't prevent it.

:help:

I believe it should be shortly after but I'm no expert, and I'm not exactly the fittest of people either so no I've not tried it myself

however I just looked on wikipedia and massage is one of the possible treatments

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOMS#Treatment

hope that helps

Thanks esme, though I can't afford to get a professional to do it every time I go to the gym, and someone who doesn't know what they're doing might just do more harm than good. :(

Think you may be over training, keeping fit is good, but not if it causes so much pain.

Yeah, that's okay if you just want to tone up, but to build muscle and get bigger you have to tear the muscle, causing microscopic damage which then heals and gains mass.

You can reduce swelling and damage in the muscles by icing them immediately after exercise.

I don't suppose you'll have an ice bath handy, but personally I find that a shower as cold as I can stand it helps.

If it's your legs particularly then that's good as they go numb quite quickly in the shower when it's that cold and you can keep them in for a good length of time.

Some muscle soreness is inevitable though, building muscle is done by working it and causing minor damage which is then repaired stronger. The amount of muscle fibre doesn't change, each fibre just gets stronger.

You can reduce swelling and damage in the muscles by icing them immediately after exercise.

I don't suppose you'll have an ice bath handy, but personally I find that a shower as cold as I can stand it helps.

If it's your legs particularly then that's good as they go numb quite quickly in the shower when it's that cold and you can keep them in for a good length of time.

Some muscle soreness is inevitable though, building muscle is done by working it and causing minor damage which is then repaired stronger. The amount of muscle fibre doesn't change, each fibre just gets stronger.

I HATE being cold in the shower :(, but if it helps I'll have to just put up with it because I can't be doing with walking around like a retarded platypus all the time.

Archived