Fox & Duck, Broomhill; have you been since the refurb?

goldenfleece

Originally posted by boyface

Is it still free beer at lunchtimes?

well, cheap, anyways....

Always made for an interesting long lunch then back to work a little tipsy :)

I managed to go to a practice History exam paper after a morning stint in the Fox & Duck....interesting.....:hihi:

Originally posted by goldenfleece

Not MORE TV screens.......what a waste of time and space!!! It was far better as a dark and dinghy local pub where students never dared to enter, but that was 25 years ago now.....progress eh!!!!

It is owned by the Students Union now :rolleyes:

I always found it fun during the day

The old guys still go in there, and if you go enough times you can become party to their domino school.....and I even wear a flat cap now, man, I can waltz it I reckon.

Seriously, the old guys in there are lovely, if you fancy a lunchtime pint and a chat, join them

Don't play cards though, they'll fleece you dry

Originally posted by Hook

It is owned by the Students Union now :rolleyes:

Yes I can remember when they bought it up from Tetley back in 1987....there was a bit of local outcry as the locals wanted it dark and dinghy as it always had been, but the Union wanted a spacious refurb. The only thing the locals did NOT complain about was the cheaper beer!!! Seriously, it was dark brown and very very poky with manky curtains and more gloom than a cemetary....but a certain charm though......and much rougher generally than it is now......

The same Landlord, John, employed by the Students Union, is still there, after 17 years not a bad feat......

the interior has been spruced up, new bench upolstery, new pictures on the wall, lighter colours and a bit more glass. Couple of new plasma screens, but they have just replaced the existing tv's.

More importantly though (and a shame) is that they have put up prices. By quite a lot. £2.35 for a stella shandy is a bit silly in what's supposed to be a student pub. I'm sure it was cost something like £1.60 before the refurb.

I think we might need to find a new post training regular, maybe the Nottingham house.

More importantly though (and a shame) is that they have put up prices. By quite a lot. £2.35 for a stella shandy is a bit silly in what's supposed to be a student pub. I'm sure it was cost something like £1.60 before the refurb.e. [/b]

WHAT AN OUTRAGE!!! Those price increases are disgusting. This is really biting the very hand that feeds them.....the Fox and Duck originally was student Union bar prices, by far the cheapest pub in Broomhill in 1988.......these prices make it just about the most expensive......it cant work. They buy all that cheap discount beer via the National Union of Students mega discount deals with breweries, and then pocket all the cash themselves.

Sorry, but I for ONE believe the Union lost its way years ago....it was formed to provide essentially non profit support services and facilties for its members....these days it is pure greed that drives it.

Archived