Should we build all new builds with South facing roofs ?

Should councils consider being favourable to buildings and estates that gives every property a south facing roof, so that we have homes future proof for the inevitable, more reliance on alternative energy ?

They say that we are going to have to move onto alternative energy and have set targets to meet but how far are they going in getting us to where we can all easily adopt technology like solar heating and solar electricity ?

I would like to think that someone would give this thought and they are planning on tightening up the rules on planning of new builds, taking into considerations like south face roofs and not allowing new builds to over shadow other peoples roofing space ect.

Well there are some of us already who would only buy a house with a south facing garden anyway. Thats just because we like to be picky and be able to sit out all day in the sun. Just ask estate agents. It is one of the most requested things by purchasers, a house with a south facing garden;)

Anyway, yes, I do think it will be a big consideration for new builds in the future, and space available for the latest design of wind turbine no doubt!

That as well as a decent water management system. The amount of rain water wasted, which could otherwise be collected, is disgusting. Also, homes armed with decent water recycling systems so that waste water can be used more efficiently.

yes. Water butts are such a simple thing as well when you think about it.

I always think that Chatsworth is quite innovative as it uses the water from outside to flush their toilets and it does the same job even though it is a little brown

I like the permaculture idea of having lots of grass roofs rather than slate or tile. They provide good insulation, more outdoor space for the homeowner and they're perfect for growing strawberries or wild flowers on which is also good for bees and nature. There's no problem putting solar panels into them either.

They also capture more rainwater so they could prevent a lot of the localised flooding events we've seen since everybody began tarmaccing their gardens and turning them into driveways.

Plus they look good :)

I like the permaculture idea of having lots of grass roofs rather than slate or tile. They provide good insulation, more outdoor space for the homeowner and they're perfect for growing strawberries or wild flowers on which is also good for bees and nature. There's no problem putting solar panels into them either.

They also capture more rainwater so they could prevent a lot of the localised flooding events we've seen since everybody began tarmaccing their gardens and turning them into driveways.

Plus they look good :)

I agree. We need more green spaces around houses again.

If they were serious about future proof housing then they should be looking at ideas now and encouraging them with favourable planning consent or something.

14 percent of a given household's energy is drained by its fridge

Why not have a well of water under every house that is piped up into say a refrigerated larder room, or used for some sort of air conditioning ? That would work wouldn't it ?

yes. Water butts are such a simple think as well when you think about it.

I always think that Chatsworth is quite innovative as it uses the water from outside to flush their toilets and it does the same job even though it is a little brown

Exactly. There really is no need for treated water to flush away waste. It's not necessary.

There are lots of ideas that can be applied to housing to make them more ecologically friendly. I hope when I get my house, I will be in a position to implement some of these ideas.

I could do with a tank on the side of the house that could fill up the toilet from the roof gutter.

It would have to have its own valve in the tank that would over ride the existing cold water feed system when there's enough rain water... :idea:

Archived