Things for kids to do

jacq

I have got a very shy 7 year old boy who needs a bit of confidence . I'm looking for activities eg sports, arts, social type things to take him to where he can meet other local boys his age. Girls would be nice too! I'm in the Hunter's Bar area. Any suggestions?

We took our lad to a local Taekwondo club for similar reasons.

He has autism.

3 years on it's not only done wonders for his confidence, but his coordination too.

He's just won 2nd place trophy (for his age/ height) in the South Yorks Martial arts Comp at Rawmarsh Leisure Ctr, for his 'clinical' skill in pattern work.

he volunteered to take part, wasn't pushed.

Hardly any of the 'confident' average kids couldn't even be bothered to turn up n watch!

I'd entheusiastically recommend his club, which is called Jupiter & based at Brecks (Rotherham) but I guess it's too far out for yourself?

ALSO; he's started attending Rotherham Harriers - who have a website, and are based at herringthorpe leisure ctr; again a bit of a trek for you but they're very good & have excellent facilities.

Good luck :thumbsup: DK

My eldest daughter started Tang Soo Do at age 8 and is now 17 and a black belt - it gave her confidence but my other daughters have shown no interest so your son may not take to it but it's worth a try.

I would ask him if there is any sport he is interested in there are plenty of clubs around to suit most interests. Archery is another sport a friend of mines child does. My eldest daughter has now taken up diving and wants to go diving in the Red Sea!!

• 3 years later...

There is so much to see and do in Sheffield. For a taster of outdoor activites from rock climbing to dry stone walling, photography to arts & crafts, family walks to conservation look no further than The Norfolk Arms Great Outdoor Family fair on Sunday 16th August 2009. Entry is FREE. http://www.norfolkarms.com or visit http://www.eventsheffield.co.uk/event/6774/the-norfolk-arms-great-outdoors-family-fair

Archived