Maintaining perfect teeth.

As we grow older all the bits and pieces that we are made of and take for granted in youth require a little higher maintenance. Not least of these bits and pieces are our teeth. How expensive it to keep perfect teeth into your thirties, forties , fifties and older? Are good teeth hereditary or provided by the dentist?

I'm really fortunate to have perfect teeth (without any help from the dentist), but yeah, as I've gotten older, they need more polishing and I've noticed one of the top front ones has migrated about a milimeter to the right (natural shift, apparently). It's difficult to tell but I notice it every day...

Regular dental care is so very important.

My nan is 70 in 4 weeks, shes only ever had to have 1 filling, and thatwas about a month ago.

Im 18, and im undergoing lots of treatment, 7 fillings in the past 3 months, and I have an appt tomorrow for another 2 fillings and removal of a tooth. I also have root canal booked in. Im having 4 hours appts every fortnight.

Difference being, my nan has had regular check ups/polishes etc all her life and has never smoked. And I havent visited a dentist in 5 years and I smoke too much! My words of advice to anyone is go to see the dentist every 6-12 months, make sure you do it because im in constant agony and will be for some months now until its all sorted. And quit smoking if you do :)

An added problem with keeping teeth in good nick is that some NHS dentists are reluctant to do root canal treatment, or don't do it correctly. It's easier for them to pull the tooth out and convince you that there's no other option:mad:

I've ended up going private for this reason, and it's certainly expensive, but like Vague Boy said, it's worth it. Very unfair that this option is only available if you can afford it, though :(

Regular dental care is so very important.

That's where I've always gone wrong in the past.

When you're a kid, you have to go to the dentist (often your mum is the one that makes you go). When you get to be an adult, you can decide to put it off. And put it off. Before long, years have gone by.

I'm currently having a course of treatment which will consume around £2k over the next few weeks. I have to admit to feeling a little let down by the NHS in not being able to afford to have the treatment done until now so the problems have got worse over time.

I'm not wanting something for nothing but I do wonder who (apart from under 16's and those on benefits) manage to get any dental treatment on the NHS. The option from most "NHS" surgeries I've been to is that I'd be better off having it done privately but it seems to be the same surgeons

I am in my 40's and had three fillings as a teenager. I recently had to have those fillings replaced but other than that, I've never had more than regular check ups every six months (oh, and braces when I was younger). I have noticed that the enamel is becoming thin on the lower part of my two upper front teeth. That, apparently, is normal as we get older. Also, I have noticed my gums are receding at several points, also fairly normal but mine is due to aggressive brushing, which I have had to work on.

I don't know that it is really possible to maintain perfect teeth all of your life but regular check ups, daily flossing and brushing are essential to keeping your teeth and gums healthy for as long as possible.

An added problem with keeping teeth in good nick is that some NHS dentists are reluctant to do root canal treatment, or don't do it correctly. It's easier for them to pull the tooth out and convince you that there's no other option:mad:

I've ended up going private for this reason, and it's certainly expensive, but like Vague Boy said, it's worth it. Very unfair that this option is only available if you can afford it, though :(

Thats nothing new, NHS dentists are not paid enough to mess around with someones teeth, much easier to just yank them out.

Archived