Nuclear war threat

The old fool almost started a nuclear war himself 48 years ago. It's a pity he just doesn't fade away and let more enlightened younger Cubans take over the reins.

His remarks have done a lot of damage to his own people due to the fact that over the past few decades there has been a slow but steady move towards rapprochment between Cuba and the United States and the powerful Miami Cuban exile group has also recently softened it's stance towards his regime.

His speech has now considerably set back the progress so far made

He would be better off considering his seemingly Lazarus like political resurrection in concerning himself with his basket case economy and ramshackle administration

If Israel were to attack Iran, you can expect the mushroom clouds to start sprouting.

Saudi Arabia gives Israel clear skies to attack Iranian nuclear sites

Saudi Arabia has conducted tests to stand down its air defences to enable Israeli jets to make a bombing raid on Iran’s nuclear facilities, The Times can reveal.

LINK

The old fool almost started a nuclear war himself 48 years ago.

JFK didn't help it by putting nuclear weapons in Turkey though. That is what triggered the 'Missile Crisis'. Castro was a little trigger happy, i will agree with you on that score, but Khrushchev & Kennedy were wise enough to take their weapons off each others doorstep. In the Cold War both sides were equally as agressive (or defensive, based on context).

JFK didn't help it by putting nuclear weapons in Turkey though. That is what triggered the 'Missile Crisis'. Castro was a little trigger happy, i will agree with you on that score, but Khrushchev & Kennedy were wise enough to take their weapons off each others doorstep. In the Cold War both sides were equally as agressive (or defensive, based on context).

Turkey was a NATO ally though but it was understandable that the Russians weren't too happy about having missiles so near their borders.

Those missiles were just about obsolete anyway. I had just finished my army service at that time and and was certain that I would be called up again and sent to West Germany or somewhere else in Europe

It was a scary time

Archived