Would you join the army?

would you join the army?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. would you join the army?

You obviously haven't read the Saville Report into the Bloody Sunday killings, have you? :suspect:

John X

If they opened fire indiscriminately without cause that is wrong.

But John you try living in a situation where you know people are trying to kill you and your colleagues have been killed in horrendouse ways, where your camp is mortar bombed and attacked with rockets and machine guns whilst you are laid in your bed.

I would like there to be an in depth investigation into the deaths of my colleagues by the IRA and also into the atrocities carried out by them against innocent civilians.

Yes, and we're not bringing our troops home in bodybags anymore.

Just as well, because I'm tired of Sheffield city centre being blocked off because some selfish soldier got shot and wants his funeral to be at Sheffield Cathedral.

well, stick to fiction and your keyboard. cos the kid that stopped you getting to your destination on time. lived what you watch, and living the dream has a price. still on the plus side im sure his mates got to make many martyrs in self defense, as an occupational hazzard.;)

well, stick to fiction and your keyboard. cos the kid that stopped you getting to your destination on time. lived what you watch, and living the dream has a price. still on the plus side im sure his mates got to make many martyrs in self defense, as an occupational hazzard.;)

Wow, you make it sound so exciting... I'm surprised our politicians haven't signed their own kids up yet :)

If they opened fire indiscriminately without cause that is wrong.

But John you try living in a situation where you know people are trying to kill you and your colleagues have been killed in horrendouse ways, where your camp is mortar bombed and attacked with rockets and machine guns whilst you are laid in your bed.

I would like there to be an in depth investigation into the deaths of my colleagues by the IRA and also into the atrocities carried out by them against innocent civilians.

"if"??? "if"???

Dear me, you really do need to learn some history.

The 26 dead on that day were unarmed, some were peaceful protesters, the others (unarmed) bystanders.

Many of them were shot in the back. Two were mown down, "Israeli-style" by tanks.

The Saville report found that all of those shot were unarmed, and that the killings were both "unjustified and unjustifiable.

The Saville report found that all of those shot were unarmed, and that the killings were both "unjustified and unjustifiable.

Please do not let something as insignificant as the truth get in the way of a good argument. I think newboy2011 and I had a nice dialogue going.

Yes, I understand that and they have my sympathy.

But shooting dead unarmed civilians from the community from which the people trying to kill you come from, was much more likely to aggravate the situation rather than calm it! History now shows that to have been the case. :(

At the time of Bloody Sunday, opposition to the British Army consisted mainly of small arms and crude IEDs. Mortars, rockets and machine guns by and large came after January 1972 ironically in part, due to an escalation in the conflict which can be traced back to the events on Bloody Sunday.

At the very least, the Parachute Regiment's actions in January 1972 were an act of gross stupidity which greatly increased the danger to all soldiers serving there subsequently.

John X

"if"??? "if"???

Dear me, you really do need to learn some history.

The 26 dead on that day were unarmed, some were peaceful protesters, the others (unarmed) bystanders.

Many of them were shot in the back. Two were mown down, "Israeli-style" by tanks.

all i can say is appeasment backfires

Yes, I understand that and they have my sympathy.

But shooting dead unarmed civilians from the community from which the people trying to kill you come from, was much more likely to aggravate the situation rather than calm it! History now shows that to have been the case. :(

At the time of Bloody Sunday, opposition to the British Army consisted mainly of small arms and crude IEDs. Mortars, rockets and machine guns by and large came after January 1972 ironically in part, due to an escalation in the conflict which can be traced back to the events on Bloody Sunday.

At the very least, the Parachute Regiment's actions in January 1972 were an act of gross stupidity which greatly increased the danger to all soldiers serving there subsequently.

John X

and they did not have to go after that, maybe thats why it happened?

Archived