Would you join the army?

would you join the army?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. would you join the army?

"if"??? "if"???

Dear me, you really do need to learn some history.

The 26 dead on that day were unarmed, some were peaceful protesters, the others (unarmed) bystanders.

Many of them were shot in the back. Two were mown down, "Israeli-style" by tanks.

The Saville report found that all of those shot were unarmed, and that the killings were both "unjustified and unjustifiable.

Isn't that what I said in my first sentence ?

Yes, I understand that and they have my sympathy.

But shooting dead unarmed civilians from the community from which the people trying to kill you come from, was much more likely to aggravate the situation rather than calm it! History now shows that to have been the case. :(

At the time of Bloody Sunday, opposition to the British Army consisted mainly of small arms and crude IEDs. Mortars, rockets and machine guns by and large came after January 1972 ironically in part, due to an escalation in the conflict which can be traced back to the events on Bloody Sunday.

At the very least, the Parachute Regiment's actions in January 1972 were an act of gross stupidity which greatly increased the danger to all soldiers serving there subsequently.

John X

Did you read the first sentence of my quote ?(not included in your reply)

Did you read the first sentence of my quote ?(not included in your reply)

I did and I completely agree with it.

I was taking issue with your second sentence which seemed to be suggesting that what happened that day was understandable, given the experience of British soldiers serving there at the time.

John X

I was taking issue with your second sentence which seemed to be suggesting that what happened that day was understandable, given the experience of British soldiers serving there at the time.

John X

the truth about what happend has been lost in the politics. beleive what you want. ill do the same.

true, still we managed.

lack of kit was down to taxpayer not wanting to stump up.

That's an outrageous comment:rant:

The majority of the British public would rather see our troops using the best equipment available,and pay for it.But the government would rather buy themselves duckhouses and line their own pockets.

John X

I was not excusing any illegal actions but was trying to illustrate the soldiers lifestyle.

I also think you are right in your other post about the consequences of the shootings on that day.

about the consequences of the shootings on that day.

It is widely believed that the Warrenpoint bombing was a revenge attack for Bloody Sunday rather than just another attack on the security forces as 16 of the dead were from the Second Battalion of the Paras.

John X

Archived