Would you join the army?

would you join the army?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. would you join the army?

I didn't think you were permitted to serve in two countries' armed forces.

I thought serving in the armed forces of one country disbarred you from serving in another's? (apart, I thought, from if you were a mercenary)

(forgive my dimness on this subject, but that's what I understood?)

In my case I emigrated to Canada in 1965 and was classified as Canadian Landed Immigrant with permanent resident status.

Back then Canadians were eligible to serve in the American military and had to sign a declaration of intent to become US citizens. Whether this has changed since then I dont know.

I was classified as Canadian for enlistment purposes and was fast forwarded for being given a US permanent resident visa.

I wasnt the only foreigner in my Company. There were two other British ex-servicemen and there was a major who had served in the post war West German army

Thank you for explaining that to me, harleyman. It's cleared some confusion up for me. Cheers.

Today any citizen of a foreign country who resides in the US legally and who meets the age and phyisical requirements can enlist in the US forces even if they have already served in a foreign military.

The call up or Draft as it was called ended shortly after the end of the Vietnam war

Before that a foreign citizen who was living legally in the US and was of military age had to register for the Draft and was liable to be called up for service mostly in the army but sometimes for service in the Air Force or Navy.

The only exception to that was if the person had already done service in the military of their own country of origin and they were automatically exempt

In my case I served voluntarily in the Marine Corps as that branch of the service only accepted volunteers. I think this also applied to the Coast Guard

Hope that clears it up a little more for you :)

Archived