Would you join the army?

would you join the army?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. would you join the army?

I voted no. The thought of pointing a gun at someone, whos pointing a gun at me doesn't really appeal. Especially as neither one of us would know why we're there. Wasn't WW1, aka 'The Great War' the war to end all wars? What aren't we learning?

You certainly haven't offended me ;)

I know a number of people who were in the Army and they appear to be very intelligent individuals.

Intelligence is a very subjective word. For me personally...letting 20 yr olds who have their whole life in front of them, get blown up by a guerrilla army with IED's......well that's just not intelligent on anyones part. The fact that the might of the USSR's army (without the noose of the Human Rights ACT) & they couldn't stop them.....or even the USA in Vietnam. Or even the Uk armed forces against the IRA. What chance have we got.... a little bankrupt third world country?

I wouldnt now, particularly as im now more settled and have a daughter too, but i would have done in the past and actually did apply at the age of 17. In the end i was refused though on medical grounds since i have psoriasis which is stress related. At the time i thought it was the end of the world as it was all i wanted to do but now i know there is more to life.

You say you want the adventure but the army is a way off life, you wont just shut it off and be able to go back to your life after your 3-4years. If you just want to see the world etc then you could go travelling or do work helping in poorer countries etc which is quite rewarding i'd imagine. I think people can have glorifed ideas of what being in the army is like, just make sure you really know what to expect.

good luck if you decide to go for it.

• 2 months later...
Intelligence is a very subjective word. For me personally...letting 20 yr olds who have their whole life in front of them, get blown up by a guerrilla army with IED's......well that's just not intelligent on anyones part. The fact that the might of the USSR's army (without the noose of the Human Rights ACT) & they couldn't stop them.....or even the USA in Vietnam. Or even the Uk armed forces against the IRA. What chance have we got.... a little bankrupt third world country?

being in the army is not being in afganistan. yes you do tours, but thats just one part of the job. a big part of soldiers working life is teaching

I would only join if I could choose which conflict I would be deployed in.Otherwise you are passing control of your life to some graduate of Sandhurst or similar who have no rapport with others.How many legitimate campaigns has the army supported over recent years?I would include peace-keeping in Liberia and possibly Bosnia but exclude their roles in Iraq and the Falklands,and Afghanistan is contraversial.

Sgt P.Epper

I would only join if I could choose which conflict I would be deployed in.Otherwise you are passing control of your life to some graduate of Sandhurst or similar who have no rapport with others.How many legitimate campaigns has the army supported over recent years?I would include peace-keeping in Liberia and possibly Bosnia but exclude their roles in Iraq and the Falklands,and Afghanistan is contraversial.

Sgt P.Epper

Or to put that another way: "I'd only join if I could be the boss." ;)

If you are smart and want to join, you can also do officer training.

My son's best mate is a pilot officer in the RAF, they do appear to pay them very well. He has seen collegues killed and injured, he has been shot down and survived without a scratch.

If he were ordered to destroy a building, be it a school or hospital, destroy it he would, could you?

Very interesting question, and one I have thought about a fair bit. I guess when I look back at being younger then in some ways I wished I had. That has changed now I am older and have more of an idea what it would be like and what could be behind it.

I wouldnt join the army to fight in an economic war or a war that was about the aquisition of power. However, if my liberty, freedom and culture were under threat then I would fight for that as I think its worth fighting for, I dont think it would necessarily mean joing the army though. I guess, hypothetically if something like the rise of Nazism WW11 Germany came about then I would join an army to defend against that.

Archived