Just for one day lets celebrate our faith

Whatever it is that I say (or even think) I am ... I'm not that.

As men's prayers are a disease of the will, so are their creeds a disease of the intellect. They say with those foolish Israelites, 'Let not God speak to us, lest we die. Speak thou, speak any man with us, and we will obey.' Everywhere I am hindered of meeting God in my brother, because he has shut his own temple doors, and recites fables merely of his brother's, or his brother's brother's God. Every new mind is a new classification. If it prove a mind of uncommon activity and power, a Locke, a Lavoisier, a Hutton, a Bentham, a Fourier, it imposes its classification on other men, and lo! a new system. In proportion to the depth of the thought, and so to the number of the objects it touches and brings within reach of the pupil, is his complacency. But chiefly is this apparent in creeds and churches, which are also classifications of some powerful mind acting on the elemental thought of duty, and man's relation to the Highest. Such is Calvinism, Quakerism, Swedenborgism. The pupil takes the same delight in subordinating every thing to the new terminology, as a girl who has just learned botany in seeing a new earth and new seasons thereby. It will happen for a time, that the pupil will find his intellectual power has grown by the study of his master's mind. But in all unbalanced minds, the classification is idolized, passes for the end, and not for a speedily exhaustible means, so that the walls of the system blend to their eye in the remote horizon with the walls of the universe; the luminaries of heaven seem to them hung on the arch their master built. They cannot imagine how you aliens have any right to see, — how you can see; 'It must be somehow that you stole the light from us.' They do not yet perceive, that light, unsystematic, indomitable, will break into any cabin, even into theirs. Let them chirp awhile and call it their own. If they are honest and do well, presently their neat new pinfold will be too strait and low, will crack, will lean, will rot and vanish, and the immortal light, all young and joyful, million-orbed, million-colored, will beam over the universe as on the first morning. - an extract from RWE's Self-Reliance.

In the heart of mankind, may self-honesty forever prevail over faith.

The late Bloomindo did not seem to be able to understand that I was agreeing with him. There are also many who seem to think that as soon as you mention god, that you are talking about a man with a beard.

It seems that they zone out and become totally aggressive for no reason.

Debate seems to be beyond them.

It is a shame as they are missing out, many good posters on here post on religious matters.

You seem to be making things up on the bomb here.

Where did this male god come from?

If you'd like I can go through your posts sentence by sentence asking questions and exposing logical fallacies. If you really can't spot where you've referred to god as being male, I can copy and paste your own words as evidence. Do you really want me to publically embarrass you like that? Remember, this isn't a private conversation; other people will be watching and assessing our respective posts.

Are you content that you have presented the best arguments for your viewpoint? I can see so many unfounded statements and logical fallacies in your posts.

If I'm up early enough tomorrow, and have the spare time in the morning, I'll come back and rip your various statements apart, much as I did in post 85 (I think it was that one; I'm typing on my phone and can't check). On the other

hand, if you can suggest answers to any if the questions I've posed so far I'll spare your blushes and concentrate on analysing those responses.

That was no slag of America. I would never dream of insulting the country of Franklin and Jefferson. Delve into my posts and you will find me robustly defending the USA.

Your comment however was a personal insult, that I had a good mind to report and have removed. Leaving it however says more about you than it does me.

:partyhat:

I need to apologize to you for my comments, what I said was inappropriate, and I'm ashamed and sorry. There are so many snide remarks made about America on this forum , I thought this was one too. I can only ask what was the context about you saying Grahame must be an American? I see no connection to the thread at hand. Any way, leave it at that, and once again, sorry.

Mod note: As per previous note, please try to keep it on topic (refer back to the original page it it helps). There's lots of other threads to discuss the rights/wrongs/existence etc of religion/belief/faith.

There are many different faiths around the world and many differing opinions on which one is the right one. But just for one day on one thread lets all share our faiths. Not to see which is the right one or the wrong one but just say what it is that makes your faith special to you.

My faith means im never alone. God is always thrre guiding me down the path of life to the day i can rid myself of these mortal shackles and be one with him.

He gives me strength on the days i have none of my own and courage on days mine is lacking.

Share your faith with us all.

Peace and love to you :)

What about us lot !!!!:rant:

I need to apologize to you for my comments, what I said was inappropriate, and I'm ashamed and sorry. There are so many snide remarks made about America on this forum , I thought this was one too. I can only ask what was the context about you saying Grahame must be an American? I see no connection to the thread at hand. Any way, leave it at that, and once again, sorry.

Thanks.

Grahame repeatedly used "math" as the shortened version of "mathematics" when nobody from the UK would ever do that, over here it's always "maths". I've noticed him do that on a number of occasions now, and it seems very odd.

:huh:

Thanks.

Grahame repeatedly used "math" as the shortened version of "mathematics" when nobody from the UK would ever do that, over here it's always "maths". I've noticed him do that on a number of occasions now, and it seems very odd.

Math = singular = God

Maths = plural = gods.

Have you got it yet?

Thanks.

I'd always assumed it was because he routinely cut'n'pastes from so many American apologist websites.

Archived