Just for one day lets celebrate our faith

Everybody is an atheist.

Are they, though, Bloomdido?

I've always thought that for the most part, even the atheist has something that they revere, (not all, BTW, and this is purely my hypothesis, so make of it what you will :D )

I believe that there's a god-shaped hole in the human psyche, and that man has a need to fill that hole with something, whether it be power, work, money, fast cars, drugs, sex.... or whatever.

I believe in a higher being that created us, (not necessarily in the literal, Biblical "God spake" sense, but that there was a "hand" behind our coming into being...)

I do accept that not everyone shares that point of view, and I don't have a jot of difficulty accepting that some folk believe in many gods, some believe in one, and others believe in none. I can't force one set of religious beliefs on a person over another, the individual makes up their mind what their faith or moral code is.

I've nattered to Rainbow Angel previously about faiths, and I fully agree with the core philosophy of her paganism, which is "An it harm none, do what ye will!"- and that is my take on faith:- providing your belief is not impinging on, or harming another person, what's the problem? you have the right to believe what you want!

Just being nosey Jew Boy, but how devout are you in your faith? Do you observe the sacred Sabbath, no dairy, pork etc?

Your not being nosey and are free to ask me any questions you like about my faith.

Im not Orthodox Jew, more reform.

:)

Your not being nosey and are free to ask me any questions you like about my faith.

My best friend at school, Ruth, was Jewish. Her great-(great-greats?) grandparents fled the Pogroms in Russia under the Tsar, in the 1900's or so (give or take about 10 yrs - 1890s-1910 ish).

She's a nurse in new Zealand, these days.

Ok, thanks for that, like my Jewish mates. I dont think I've encountered an Orthodox Jew in Sheffield for 20 years..was that around the time the Wilson Road synagogue was closed?

I've always thought that for the most part, even the atheist has something that they revere, (not all, BTW, and this is purely my hypothesis, so make of it what you will :D )

I believe that there's a god-shaped hole in the human psyche, and that man has a need to fill that hole with something, whether it be power, work, money, fast cars, drugs, sex.... or whatever.

I believe in a higher being that created us, (not necessarily in the literal, Biblical "God spake" sense, but that there was a "hand" behind our coming into being...)

I do accept that not everyone shares that point of view, and I don't have a jot of difficulty accepting that some folk believe in many gods, some believe in one, and others believe in none. I can't force one set of religious beliefs on a person over another, the individual makes up their mind what their faith or moral code is.

I've nattered to Rainbow Angel previously about faiths, and I fully agree with the core philosophy of her paganism, which is "An it harm none, do what ye will!"- and that is my take on faith:- providing your belief is not impinging on, or harming another person, what's the problem? you have the right to believe what you want!

Amen to that PT!

:hihi::hihi: we agree!!! :wow::hihi::hihi: *faints*

lol :D

Well.....except for this bit (you're not quite there yet:cool:), but the rest of your post makes me wonder why you feel the need to believe in a god anyway.

I revere nothing and no-one. However I will check the definition of 'revere' ....

Totally agree. There's a bit of Maslow in it but I think we are still evolving and need that 'faith' that we are not totally alone in the universe and responsible for our own destinies.

Many people do. Life, the universe and everything is such a difficult concept to grasp. A creator gives it meaning and purpose when really there isn't any beyond evolution and our own reality. I think many people will choose to hang onto faith regardless of evidence to the contrary because the acceptance of random mutation and chance is too scary for them.

I have difficulty on an intellectual level with someone who can ignore evidence and reason to believe in something that is so vague and multi-faceted. It is back to this need in humans to find order and meaning when there is none.

There are people who make it their lifes work to convert you to their belief system. If a religion has more people leaving (and we all leave at some point) than joining, it will die. The world is already littered with dead gods, to some of whom, blood flowed in rivers to appease them. If it were that simple that we could believe what we want without influencing those around us and more dangerously, our children. I tried very hard not to influence mine. They were taken to church and 'indoctrinated' at school but their ability for free thinking served them well.

Archived