Is the country going down the pan (Nile Pan)?

I not from the link in the original post that: "Two Nile pans – which the user squats over rather than sits on – are being fitted in Rochdale Exchange, alongside existing traditional loos in both men’s and women’s toilets."

I wonder whether that means that there will be 'traps' with a choice of long-drop or crapper side by side, or whether they will be separate rooms?

If so, how long will it be before somebody files a suit claiming segregation?

Are you allowed to have separate toilets for Asians and Europeans?

Next thing you know, somebody will introduce separate water fountains.

I not from the link in the original post that: "Two Nile pans – which the user squats over rather than sits on – are being fitted in Rochdale Exchange, alongside existing traditional loos in both men’s and women’s toilets."

I wonder whether that means that there will be 'traps' with a choice of long-drop or crapper side by side, or whether they will be separate rooms?

If so, how long will it be before somebody files a suit claiming segregation?

Next thing you know, somebody will introduce separate water fountains.

Not entirely within the realms of the twilight zone is it? It's perfectly possible.

I'm sure the more 'enlightened' European, will be able to use the nile pan, whilst the conservative Asian will probably prefer the supported elevation of the traditional design ;)

madness. most asian people in england have probably been here now for many decades and the younger generations have been born here. they live in houses that have been built here, and have proper toilets. they dont modify them so they can squat like they used to 'back home'! what kinda toilets do they think these people use at home, in there houses, in england?

even my parents, who are muslim, when they emigrated in the 60's, bought an old two up two down house with no kitchen and bathroom and then slowly renovated it so it had a proper bathroom and kitchen - they didnt just rip the outside loo out so they had a hole to squat in!

where on earth do these cultural awareness people get these ideas from? i wish someone would do a survey of all the asian people in rochdale to find out how many of them actually have a squat toilet and use it. i bet most would look upon it with horror and confusion, and probably some offence.

where on earth do these cultural awareness people get these ideas from? i wish someone would do a survey of all the asian people in rochdale to find out how many of them actually have a squat toilet and use it. i bet most would look upon it with horror and confusion, and probably some offence.

Easy. They do daft courses run by daft people. Any other questions?

I've spoken to a few people out here about this and all agree the only reason squats are so common here is price. To buy a flush loo costs more than Rp1 million while a squat is Rp65,000 (about five quid) and a lot less work to plumb it in.

It's purely a cost thing and sod all to do with any bugger's culture.

Easy. They do daft courses run by daft people. Any other questions?

I've spoken to a few people out here about this and all agree the only reason squats are so common here is price. To buy a flush loo costs more than Rp1 million while a squat is Rp65,000 (about five quid) and a lot less work to plumb it in.

It's purely a cost thing and sod all to do with any bugger's culture.

I'm glad you cleared the cost thing up for me. I'm certain in other countries the only reason they use these Nile Pans is because they can't afford to get a proper system put in.. were in England and although we are fairly skint i'm sure we can afford a toilet or two!

A long time ago I saw one in Singapore that had a toilet seat hinged on the wall with a wooden post attached to it so that both could use the toilet! Never tried it as there would be a definite chance of collateral splash damage.

A long time ago I saw one in Singapore that had a toilet seat hinged on the wall with a wooden post attached to it so that both could use the toilet! Never tried it as there would be a definite chance of collateral splash damage.

They could have a normal loo on a hydraulic platform, which when sunk into the floor is like a Nile Pan, press a button and hey presto it raises up to become a proper loo.

Archived