Neepsend coachworks

SUTman

Has anyone any memories of Neepsend Coachworks on Penistone Road. I remember them building the bodies for Atlanteans for Sheffield and Bolton, Fleetlines for Coventry, AEC Regents for Rotherham and Southampton and various other fleets. Also 'Noddy' vans for BRS. They used to park new chassis on forecourt in front of building. It was very interesting seeing all the different vehicles there as I went past on my way to work in the sixties.

Hi SUT MAN, I worked at BRS Parcels close to Neepsend Coachworks around 1961. I well remember a wall of this newly built unit collapsing and damaging or destroying some vehicles. I later drove many of their products with Sheffield transport Dept, blue seats if I remember correctly and same size windows on both decks. Didn't know they bodied the 'Noddy' vans BRS used though.

Hi David, yes you are right the Atlanteans built in 1966 had the blue seats, the others delivered in 1964/65 had red upstairs and beige and red dowstairs. The 'Noddy' vans were delivered with chassis/cowls and all finished in green livery. Incidentally, I well remember the BRS depot you refer to. It was on the opposite side of Penistone Road. When did it close? any idea.

Hi SUT man, don't know when it closed, I left to go bus conducting (Townhead St.)when I was 18, started in that bad winter of '63. The BRS Parcels building was still there in the '80's. Did you know any of the office staff there ? Mrs.Habershaw, Mr.Mac. and Irish Pat ?

Archived