Help, Accused of benefit fraud

i live on my own with my son, I visit my sons dad everyday and sometimes we sleep over, My partner rents his property ( privately) and we both have big old dogs so we cant move in together because of money and our dogs dont get on, Today the housing have sent a letter to my bf's house to me saying that someone has informed them im fraudulently claiming benefits and not living in my house but living with my partner instead, Obviously im scared to death now! I rang them up asked what it was all about but they wouldnt speak to me over the phone, and said i needed an interview under caution which will be recorded to give my side, To be honest i do just use my house as somewhere to sleep and spend most of my time at my bf's house, Is this wrong? Can I get in trouble for this? I pay my rent and never cause any problems and its rare i sleep at my partners as he works night shift so he drops us back home late on , Im just worried about it now and dont know what to expect or why someone has told them different? Please help or advise, Thanks Sarah

I don't know the details I'm afraid, but I suspect they judge these things on the amount of nights you stay at your place versus his. I wouldn't be too worried - if you're found to have fraudulently claimed they may try to recover the money by deductions from your benefit, but I don't think they're in the business of kicking people out onto the streets or anything.

I don't know much about this type of situation, but if I were you I'd start to gather up any 'hard evidence' you can think of that would irrefutably prove that you have spent the vast majority of nights at home. You should take this along to your interview.

You could have been reported for any number of reasons - spite, malice and jealousy being among them. It doesn't follow that the DWP have already decided you are committing benefit fraud: only that they have a reason to want to check up.

If they seriously believed you were committing a crime, they would be collecting evidence with which to prosecute you, not letting you know of their suspicions.

Just on having seen the adverts and some TV programmes about benefit fraud and what happens, I don't want to worry you unnecessarily but you should take this very seriously, imo. Maybe try to get an appointment with a benefits adviser at the Citizen's Advice Bureau? Get some advice and maybe someone to accompany you to the interview, if that's allowed.

Sorry but yes it does look like you are claiming as a single person when you practically live at your boyfriends!

Advice here:

http://www.advicenow.org.uk/advicenow-guides/problems-with-benefits/how-to-handle-an-interview-under-caution/what-is-benefit-fraud-html,655,FP.html

From the link -

''People might have told you that you're classed as living together if you stay at your boyfriend's for more than 2 or 3 nights a week - but this is plain wrong. In order to be treated as a couple for benefits purposes, you have to be living together at the same address. If you have another address where you receive your post, keep your things, pay bills, etc you clearly don’t live with your boyfriend. Other situations can be more difficult to prove to the Benefits Agency.''

Sounds like it might be an idea to visit your CAB and get some advice and support too.

Okay, Firstly they will be looking a CT and 25% deductions if you are single and claiming as living alone. As you both have seperate properties this should not be too difficult an area. Next they will want to know if you stay over more than 3 nights. If you were ignorent of the law at the time then this can be argued and if you have no intention of living together as a family this should be stated. Mostly the law looks at whether you have been granted money to live in a property you not live in not had any intention of living in. If this is incorrect then muster your arguements togethr and fight. Always take things to appeal and always use what ever sources such as cit advice that you can.

Archived