Help, Accused of benefit fraud

The general rule is, if you claim any benefit, including housing/council tax,as a single person, nobody other than yourself or any dependant children, can stay the night.

I think there must be a bit of leeway.

For instance, what if my cousin and his wife come down from the North east, for a wedding/funeral, and I put them up for the night :confused:

How about if I'm ill, and my friend stays a few nights, to nurse me, or take care of my children :confused:

I once had an elderly couple in,theyd put up thier nieghbour,whod had a bust up with his OH....anyhow he ended up stopping 3 weeks or so,and the council came,and asked for repayment of benefit for that period.I had to consult a senior adviser,as id thought it would be allowed,but it turned out the council were within thier rights to reclaim the amount.

Its pretty much centred around relationships,But with regards to non dependants,and the occasional night,a few times a year should be ok,its when it forms a regular pattern,over extended periods

But with regards to non dependants,and the occasional night,a few times a year should be ok,its when it forms a regular pattern,over extended periods

I agree, there's got to be a bit of common sense about it.

I mean, what if my neighbour, who is on benefits, knocks at my door at 10pm, and says her celling has come down.

If I let her sleep on the sofa for the night, will she be in trouble with the DWP :confused:

Come to that, what happens if she goes on holiday for the weekend :confused:

Does she get done for claiming rent, etc., when she's sleeping somewhere else for a couple of nights :confused:

Surely even unemployed people are allowed a couple of days in Blackpool, or a weekend with their family :confused:

I mean, what if my neighbour, who is on benefits, knocks at my door at 10pm, and says her celling has come down.

If I let her sleep on the sofa for the night, will she be in trouble with the DWP :confused:

She could be in trouble with her husband!

Archived