Help, Accused of benefit fraud

Its not just because of money and the dogs really, I suffer with my nerves and depression so i find it hard to live with him and i think he struggles at times to put up with me, He doesnt give me any money so its not like im getting benefits and his money aswell as he doesnt have much anyway, Ive had my place for years and its the otherside of the city to where my boyfriend lives and he likes it where he is and i like it where i am, How do i prove i sleep at my house? Its impossible really, Ive made an appointment at cit ad im going to see what they say because i cant see that ive done anything wrong

Don't worry about it, if you haven't done anything wrong you shouldn't have to worry. Remember if your iq is in double figures then you are more intelligent than anyone who works in the public sector... Just tell the truth.

Its not just because of money and the dogs really, I suffer with my nerves and depression so i find it hard to live with him and i think he struggles at times to put up with me, He doesnt give me any money so its not like im getting benefits and his money aswell as he doesnt have much anyway, Ive had my place for years and its the otherside of the city to where my boyfriend lives and he likes it where he is and i like it where i am, How do i prove i sleep at my house? Its impossible really, Ive made an appointment at cit ad im going to see what they say because i cant see that ive done anything wrong

The types of evidence I was thinking of includes-

- Witness statements from your neighbours.

- Utility bills, especially an itemised home phone bill because this gives the time of calls. With other bills you could mathematically calculate from the usage how much time you have spent at home per week.

Hope this helps.

You're being silly - she doesn't need a solicitor, she's not being charged with any offence.
You mean right up to the point when they suddenly say "you have the right to remain silent ... but anything you say may be given in evidence"? When you go into these interviews you don't have any idea of what info they have , that's the problem. They could have been watching her for weeks. They do that, you know.

Its not how you prove you sleep at your house it is how they prove you don't. Be aware it is illegal for fraud to snoop thro dustbins and peer throu letterboxes and peer through curtains. Always remember if they put a foot wrong there are penalties. You may complain about your treatment to their tribunal proceedure. Unfortunately you only have 3-4 weeks after the event to do this. Questions on your sexual life can be seen as an invasion of privacy. Seek proper advice and stop stressing.

Make sure you get a copy of any interview tape and any statements/paperwork and then get a Legal Aid solicitor.

If you lived on the Isle of Wight I could have recommended an exceptionally good legal aid solicitor - but, unfortunately, in Sheffield I don't really know of any legal aid solicitors.

The types of evidence I was thinking of includes-

- Witness statements from your neighbours.

- Utility bills, especially an itemised home phone bill because this gives the time of calls. With other bills you could mathematically calculate from the usage how much time you have spent at home per week.

Hope this helps.

Hi , Thanks, I dont have a home phone, bt is too expensive I just have a mobile, I only have 1 neighbour and he doesnt like me ( hes old and gets annoyed about my son playing in the garden cos he screams at times) the otherside of me is empty, the council are supposed to be doing it up but its been empty for over 6 months. I know ive done done anything wrong I just dont like the thought of being interviewed under caution, it being taped and that someone doesnt like me enough to try and cause all this trouble with me, Im a recluse really, If i dont go to my bf's I stay in , I dont know anyone in the area and only have 1 friend, I sound sad now lol but I just keep myself to myself, pay my bills and spend time with my bf and family

You're being silly - she doesn't need a solicitor, she's not being charged with any offence.

She may need a solicitor if when she has been interviewed they decide they are going to prosecute anyway - we have had quite a number of benefit fraud cases over the past few months - and all the people involved had gone for a "simple" interview (and don't forget she did say she was going to be interviewed under caution) and found themselves being prosecuted by the DSS.

The police don't get involved in benefit claims but the case is heard in the magistrates court and the sentence depends on the amounts involved and how much of the overpaid benefits have been repaid back.

Archived