What to do with a concrete floor?

Hello fellow forummers,

I recently moved into a council house with concrete floors and thought I'd ask for some advice rather than go ahead and do my own thing in case I do it wrong.

Basically what should I do before laying vinyl floorcovering or laminate flooring?

The concrete creates lots of dust and has some cracks or pits in it so isn't level in places.

I'm also wondering since it's council property if they would help out with making the floor smoother in the kitchen. It missed out on the Decent Homes programme as the previous tenant was elderly and probably didn't want the disruption so I have to wait a few years to have the house refurbished but i do need to get cracking with the floors as the dust gets everywhere.

Thanks in advance.

I would get a carpet fitter round to give you a quote for vinyl flooring on the floor 'as is'. Vinyl will follow the contours of your concrete floor. Forget any advice about leveling compound and the like. This is a council property so don't waste your cash. The visquine advice is also a waste of time, as a good quality vinyl has a built in vapour barrier, why pay twice?

If you want vinyl(from my very recent experience) fitted correctly i.e glued, the surface needs to be flat and free from ridges and bumps or they show through.

Laminate is easy - visqueen membrane(cheers chris71) followed by underlay then laminate.

Underlay varies in price -Wickes have some for £13 for 15sqm, laminate is as cheap as £5 a metre from many places including carpertfright. visqueen is about the same as underlay @ Wickes.(bought it all yesterday)

Why Visquine? Was your floor damp? Any kind of vapour barrier is to keep moisture from seeping through from either above or below. Vinyl stops liquid from seeping into the floor and makes mopping up a breeze.

Visquine is a damp proof membrane that prevents damp from rising.

If your floor was damp, the visquine will only prevent damp from rising through your floor covering. Moisture (water) tends to track back and flow towards the areas of least resistance. You may find that your skirting boards will take the brunt, and the damp will creep up your walls (not good).

Dont undertake your project yet, do a bit more investigating, could save you a lot of hassle in the long run. Good luck.

Archived