Police officers, thick or dishonest?

I had a couple of bailiffs knock on my door last week regarding 'unpaid' council tax to the sum of £175, once the charges had been added it was £390.

This was the first i'd heard of this and told them i was sure I didn't owe anything so told them I would chase it up and contact them after I had spoken with Rotherham council (who had sent the bailiffs).

They said they were not leaving without payment or taking my belongings off to auction, I told them they were not entering my property and if they tried I would call the police.

To cut a long story short they ended up calling the police who arrived and spoke to the bailiffs for 10 minutes before knocking on the door, I let the public servants (police) in but made a point of telling the thieves (bailiffs) they were not invited.

In a nutshell the police told me the bailiffs could enter my home and do a walking posession on my stuff and take what they wanted including a car which was outside. I told the officers that I knew my rights and they ould not enter and pointed out the mistakes in paperwork which meant they had no right/power/jurastiction to do anything but the officers still tried to get me to pay when i had no compulsion.

In the end I threw the police officers out who told me they would return to arrest me.... After half an hour of talks between the bailiffs and police (animators) they all buggered off and i've heard nothing since.

My question is regarding the police (officers). Are they stupid or were they assisting an offender by telling me that the bailiffs could enter my house without permission and take my things when clearly they could not (their actions prove this).

Secondly they said I could be arrested for not letting the bailiff in to which I invited them to do so.

The police are either thick as <removed> or dishonest.. Which scares you more?

I had a couple of bailiffs knock on my door last week regarding 'unpaid' council tax to the sum of £175, once the charges had been added it was £390.

This was the first i'd heard of this and told them i was sure I didn't owe anything so told them I would chase it up and contact them after I had spoken with Rotherham council (who had sent the bailiffs).

They said they were not leaving without payment or taking my belongings off to auction, I told them they were not entering my property and if they tried I would call the police.

To cut a long story short they ended up calling the police who arrived and spoke to the bailiffs for 10 minutes before knocking on the door, I let the public servants (police) in but made a point of telling the thieves (bailiffs) they were not invited.

In a nutshell the police told me the bailiffs could enter my home and do a walking posession on my stuff and take what they wanted including a car which was outside. I told the officers that I knew my rights and they ould not enter and pointed out the mistakes in paperwork which meant they had no right/power/jurastiction to do anything but the officers still tried to get me to pay when i had no compulsion.

In the end I threw the police officers out who told me they would return to arrest me.... After half an hour of talks between the bailiffs and police (animators) they all buggered off and i've heard nothing since.

My question is regarding the police (officers). Are they stupid or were they assisting an offender by telling me that the bailiffs could enter my house without permission and take my things when clearly they could not (their actions prove this).

Secondly they said I could be arrested for not letting the bailiff in to which I invited them to do so.

This is disgusting when you owed them nothing, its clear all those police officers were idiots

Would be very surprised you not knowing considering the amount of paperwork that goes through your letterbox prior to them coming out.

Anyway...anyone worried about bailiffs, have a gander:

http://www.advicenow.org.uk/advicenow-guides/consumer-and-money-problems/dealing-with-bailiffs/if-bailiffs-knock-on-your-door-html,620,FP.html

I had the council send me a letter addressed to any police officer that may grace my doorstep in regards to bailiffs on what course of action and which letters of the law to follow under the circumstances, followed by a little passage on the course of action the council themselves would take upon the bailiffs and landlord at the time......i had no further trouble from said landlord.

The police are there to observe that things run peacefully and in accordance with the law, they are not there to assist the bailiffs but to make sure there is no breach of the peace....the bailiffs inviting them was kind of shooting themselves in the foot.

If you do not allow the bailiffs entry into your property there is very little they can do about it, but they have sneaky ways of trying to make said entry.

If someone tries to force their way into your home, bailiff or otherwise...call the police and watch as things take their course....if the police make a mistake hold them too it.

Ah economics.....in the end it all boils down to me me me :D

As long as you don't owe anything nothing to worry about. I'd try to get to bottom of it if I were you. Dig out your receipts or bank statements to prove you have paid the debt in full. If they think you owe something they'll make so many attempts to recover the debt & if this is not successful they can make claims against your wages (if you are working) or benefits (if you are not working). All these unsuccessfull attempts will add costs & charges to any money they think you owe. When you get to the "Attachment of earnings" stage there is VERY LITTLE you can do as it's already taken out of your wages or benefits before you get your hands on any such sums of money.

Try to enquire about the debt & get to the bottom of it so to speak.

Archived