National lottery syndicates.. advice please!!

Hi folks, can anyone help me. I'm considering starting a local neighbourhood national lottery bonus ball syndicate. where players will pay £1 every week to enter their selected number(1-49) into the draw,then win the accumulated winnings whenever the bonus ball matches their number. However, It would only be played in conjunction with the national lottery draw. The national lottery would not be plaid, no money would be paid into the national lottery.

Can anyone tell me whether I'd be breaking any copyright or contract laws by drawing up an agreement that all players would sign. As yet I haven't asked the permission or any official body for legal advice. Thanks.

The main thing that you will need to consider is whether or not you will be exempt from registration as a lottery:

Private Lotteries

17.6 There are three types of private lotteries that qualify as exempt lotteries:

• Private lottery – these can only be promoted by one of its members and tickets can only be sold to other members of that same society and persons on premises used for the administration of the society. The lottery may only be promoted for a purpose for which the society is conducted, and the society can be any group or society, provided it is not established and conducted for purposes connected to gambling e.g. private members clubs.

• Work lottery - the promoter of the lottery must work on the premises and tickets can only be sold to other people who work on the same premises. The lottery must not be run for profit and all the proceeds must be used for prizes or reasonable expenses incurred in organising the lottery e.g. a Grand National sweepstake.

• Residents’ lottery – these must not be run for profit and all the proceeds must be used for prizes or reasonable expenses. The promoter of the lottery must reside on the premises and tickets can only be sold to other residents of the same premises. The residency requirement can still be satisfied where the premises are not the sole premises in which a person resides e.g. a student halls of residence.

http://www.gamblingcommission.gov.uk/pdf/Organising%20small%20lotteries%20-%20November%202009.pdf

The main thing that you will need to consider is whether or not you will be exempt from registration as a lottery:

Private Lotteries

17.6 There are three types of private lotteries that qualify as exempt lotteries:

• Private lottery – these can only be promoted by one of its members and tickets can only be sold to other members of that same society and persons on premises used for the administration of the society. The lottery may only be promoted for a purpose for which the society is conducted, and the society can be any group or society, provided it is not established and conducted for purposes connected to gambling e.g. private members clubs.

• Work lottery - the promoter of the lottery must work on the premises and tickets can only be sold to other people who work on the same premises. The lottery must not be run for profit and all the proceeds must be used for prizes or reasonable expenses incurred in organising the lottery e.g. a Grand National sweepstake.

• Residents’ lottery – these must not be run for profit and all the proceeds must be used for prizes or reasonable expenses. The promoter of the lottery must reside on the premises and tickets can only be sold to other residents of the same premises. The residency requirement can still be satisfied where the premises are not the sole premises in which a person resides e.g. a student halls of residence.

http://www.gamblingcommission.gov.uk/pdf/Organising%20small%20lotteries%20-%20November%202009.pdf

Thanks for the link. Just read through it, still not sure which type of syndicate it would be though:huh:

We do that at my local, all chuck in £1 for a number between 1-49 and on a sat who ever has that number gets £40 and the £9 goes towards funding the pub teams.

Do players have type of written agreement to sign?. Terms & conditions, that sort of thing?.

Thanks for the link. Just read through it, still not sure which type of syndicate it would be though:huh:

It won't be an "incidental non-commercial lottery" unless you link the ticket sales to a non-profit event.

It isn't a "private lottery" as you are outside those definitions, too.

Technically, it would need licensing unless you can reorganise it to be linked to a local group, association or society?

You could ask a shop or pub to let it be done on their premises, so as to be a "customer lottery"?

It is fairly harmless, but can easily bite you in the bum if a disgruntled loser or someone that thinks you are making something out of it, drops you in it.

We do at our work but am sure there is no harm in what you are wanting to do as the rules state its not for profit
Thing is, I was wanting to have a go myself, would that be deemed as profit making if I win?.. I imagine it would be.

It won't be an "incidental non-commercial lottery" unless you link the ticket sales to a non-profit event.

It isn't a "private lottery" as you are outside those definitions, too.

Technically, it would need licensing unless you can reorganise it to be linked to a local group, association or society?

It is fairly harmless, but can easily bite you in the bum if a disgruntled loser or someone that thinks you are making something out of it, drops you in it.

This is my concern. I am intending to make it a local community syndicate. I was hoping to have a go myself as well, although having the your link I might not be allowed.

Archived