People shouldn't have to work

Why haven't robots been invented to do all the work so that humans can spend their time lazing by rivers, painting pictures and reciting love poetry?

I think the best way to invent these robots would be to invent some other robots to do the inventing, so we can laze by rivers, painting pictures and reciting love poetry whilst we wait for the work robots to be invented.

I think the best way to invent these robots would be to invent some other robots to do the inventing, so we can laze by rivers, painting pictures and reciting love poetry whilst we wait for the work robots to be invented.
Well, in epiphany's paradox (or Utopia, take your pick), who's going to do the first inventing and the first robot-building? Sorry to keep being practical in such a senseless thread, but hey... I just can't abstract the Cartesian out of me :(

(...and we all know what will eventually happen, when robots develop and build successive generations of themselves, don't we? :suspect:epiphany's paradox will become redundant, just as we will become an energy supply source and coma-induced into leading pre-ordained lives in an alternative reality :twisted:)

je nes se sais quoi
;)

Until our robot inventing skills improve there will remain many things that are cheaper to do by hand than to do (if even possible) by robot.

We have mechanised a huge amount of previously human labour though, and the process continues.

The other day I saw somebody wearing a Slavery - gets things done t-shirt. Whilst it is true, I don't think we want to embrace the idea any further than an amusing t-shirt.

On the other hand, following the OP's suggestion would lead to nothing getting done at all.

We strive to find the best compromise between these two extremes. But looking at the state of some of ours buildings, roads and infrastructure, I suspect we have already strayed too far towards epiphany's utopia.

Well, in epiphany's paradox (or Utopia, take your pick), who's going to do the first inventing and the first robot-building? Sorry to keep being practical in such a senseless thread, but hey... I just can't abstract the Cartesian out of me :(

(...and we all know what will eventually happen, when robots develop and build successive generations of themselves, don't we? :suspect:epiphany's paradox will become redundant, just as we will become an energy supply source and coma-induced into leading pre-ordained lives in an alternative reality :twisted:)

;)

I have thought about this. After the Cylons, as I call them, are invented by the inventor robots, I'll get the inventor robots to invent a time machine so I can then send the inventor robots back in time.

if everyone took the ops stance regarding working then who would be paying tax into the benefits system to enable them to not work?

But the discussion has moved on to the possibility of robots doing all our work.

I have thought about this. After the Cylons, as I call them, are invented by the inventor robots, I'll get the inventor robots to invent a time machine so I can then send the inventor robots back in time.
Neat. However, and unfortunately, I perceive a flaw. An important one, a'tually: why would the inventor robot be inventing things for you and do your bidding, JFK'?

Oh wait...

<Charlton Heston fist-shaking>

You are particularly elaborate Turing test in disguise, aren't you? AREN'T YOU?

</Charlton Heston fist-shaking>

Archived