Where to holiday in Germany ?

It depends on what you want to do. Whether cultural, rivers, castles or cities.

Check on the German Tourist site. I personally like Munich and prefer it to Berlin. I love Cologne and also Rüdesheim. If you have a look on the site it will give you more of idea of what type of places they are. I have been going to Germany for a number of years and go for long weekends.

Lively - Berlin, Dusseldorf, Munich

Beautiful with nice pub/restaurants scattered about and lovely walks and castles - Black Forest, Mosel region

Historical - Heidelberg

Despite all the WAGS press, if you do go to the black forest, Baden Baden is a lovely place to visit but expensive - I guess it's Germany's Monte Carlo

When I travelled across Europe a few years ago I took a boat trip down the Danube from Bratislava to Budapest. I noticed that a lot of people were kayaking down the river and camping along the river bank. I've wanted to do this myself ever since.

Perhaps you could look into doing this in Germany if it's something you fancy. It would certainly make for a unique holiday and there would be plenty of towns en route to explore.

Failing that, I can recommend Cologne (Koln) as a nice town to spend some time. The Donn is impressive and it has a tourist friendly and lively street life.

Archived