Where to holiday in Germany ?

It depends on what you want to do. Whether cultural, rivers, castles or cities.

Check on the German Tourist site. I personally like Munich and prefer it to Berlin. I love Cologne and also Rüdesheim. If you have a look on the site it will give you more of idea of what type of places they are. I have been going to Germany for a number of years and go for long weekends.

Is Trier nice or Zell? We are going to Rüdesheim or Bingen Hole then down the B42/B9 to Königswinter but need somewhere to stop half way between Liege and Rüdesheim.

I'm biased.

I live in a place which the locals call 'Paradise'. Perhaps that's a slight over-exaggeration,(only just) but a friend of mine said to me (in all seriousness) "If you really do believe in paradise and you don't like it here, then when you die, you've got a serious problem ahead of you."

He's probably not too far wide of the mark. I live in paradise (and I'm well aware of the fact.:hihi:)

Back to the question:

What do you want for your money? - What do you want to do, what do you want to see, how long can you take doing it and how much money have you got?

From the previous posts:

Catherine 100 said: "It depends on what you want to do. Whether cultural, rivers, castles or cities."

Good points. There are a number of touring routes through Germany (and some of them are very long routes) which would enable you to follow a path. - The Castle Route runs from NordRheinWestphalia through to Prag.

You won't do that in a week! - but there's plenty to do (and if you want to do a chunk of that, I would be more than pleased to help you plan it.)

You could follow the Wein route ... through the wine-growing regions of Germany.

You could follow the Romantischestraße.

You could follow the Alpenstraße.

Whichever you choose could make a good holiday.

But what do you want, how much money have you got to spend on your holiday and how long will the holiday take? - The answers to those questions will dictate where you should go for 'best fit' (best value for money combined with available funds.)

Catherine said: "Check on the German Tourist site. I personally like Munich and prefer it to Berlin. I love Cologne and also Rüdesheim. If you have a look on the site it will give you more of idea of what type of places they are. I have been going to Germany for a number of years and go for long weekends."

Joe S said (thanks Joe- I'll tell the guys in the Landesverkehrsamt you're plugging our land ...it might come in useful someday;)) " Southern Bavaria:

Munich, Regensburg, Starnberger See, Chiemsee etc

Or the SchwarzWald (Black Forest) over to the Bodensee."

I wouldn't argue with either - and since I live in Upper Bavaria I'm certainly prepared to 'vote for Joe' :hihi::hihi::hihi:

München is one of the most expensive cities in the world. If you want a holiday which will concentrae on city living, if money is no object and you're looking for a brilliant night life, then München is a good choice.

Berlin (some areas are a bit dodgy) Köln and Frankfurt (thousands of young expats) are also worth a look.

Lets start from the beginning:

How many in the group?

What ages?

What do you want? - For nightlife Berlin, Köln, Frankfurt (not mentioned previously - but a lively city) and a few others.

You want scenery? - We've got that. Easy to find.

Heidelberg is a beautiful city ... could you spend a whole week there (Yes - If you knew what you wanted to see and how to get it it. [i spent 3 years there; if you want to go to Heidelberg I can help you plan your Journey.])

Restaurants & Pubs? - Get real! This is Germany. - That's a given ;)

There's nothing wrong with either Regensburg or Starnberg. - But why would you want to go there on holiday? (I'm sure you could have a most enjoyable holiday in either ... it depends on what you're looking for.... I've never encountered anybody who wished to holiday in either town.) - Not that there's anything wrong with either town.

Having said that, don't expect much in the way of 'foreign' restaurants. There are 2 Chinese restaurants around here. They are both impressively expensive (well, they are both in tourist areas - prices are high - and most of the people who come here don't want Chinese food. They want Bavarian food.

Chiemsee is (as the name suggests) a lake. - When I go there I stay in Törwang (a few miles away, because I get a good deal at an hotel there.)

If you would like to P-mail me muteW and tell me what you want, I'd be more than willing to help you to find it.

Archived