Swift Levick Work Mates from the 60's

Looking for two old workmates from Swift Levicks at Norfolk Bridge about 1960'ish Tommy Best, Danny Green, we worked in the Engineers as Apprentices,

Tommy used to live up by the Norfolk Pole pub and Danny ,I think somewhere on Norfolk Park ? here's hoping, :)Ian

Hi jstarr,

I'm sorry I did'nt know your dad ,it used to be Albert Newton production manager in the magnet shop, I left about '67' so your dad must have been later.

Anyway thanks for the reply

Hi I worked there 60 to 63 Albert Newton was in charge of the magnet department Arnold Makin was in charge of the Forge,rolling mill,foundry and heat treatment and Alan Greenslade was the works manager in charge of all maintenance and building work as well as the transport

• 7 months later...

I spent a few years here in the 60's. I recall Alan Greenslade, but thought Bill Morley ( a superb bloke) was in charge of the transport department. I also recall Stan Jaques who worked in the First Aid Room who gave me a number of books relating to Maths and English whilst I was doing A level course evening classed at City School. There was also a chap called Bishop (can't remember his first name) who worked upstairs in the Norfolk Bridge site, apparently he was a good footballer and was once on the books of Sheff. Unt.

I spent a few years here in the 60's. I recall Alan Greenslade, but thought Bill Morley ( a superb bloke) was in charge of the transport department. I also recall Stan Jaques who worked in the First Aid Room who gave me a number of books relating to Maths and English whilst I was doing A level course evening classed at City School. There was also a chap called Bishop (can't remember his first name) who worked upstairs in the Norfolk Bridge site, apparently he was a good footballer and was once on the books of Sheff. Unt.

Hi jonceebee That was Pete Bishop he was in the wages department as I did the time sheets and piece work rates for the rolling mill and centre less grinders so I was in the wages department several times a week. Pete was on United 's books as an amateur and Bill was in charge of the garage but all the log sheets of the drivers were returned to the works office as I did them when I first started there in April 1960

• 5 months later...

all our family except me & my mum worked there,my dad,sister,brother-in-law,uncles,cousins etc.Dad worked on 10 ton hammer along with my uncle & cousins.My sister & her hubby worked in magnet shop.Their surnames were Fowler,Brown & Howcutt.I worked round the corner at Blue Star garage & used to use their canteen for my dinner for about 9d.Tell you what,those lads in the forge earned every penny...:loopy: