Why is the British army still in Germany ?

Why is the British Army still in Germany 20 years after the end of the Cold War ?

Surely it must be costing a fortune and, whatever your views on the right and wrongs of the deployment, they`re obviously needed far more over in Afghanistan.

Why is the British Army still in Germany 20 years after the end of the Cold War ?

Surely it must be costing a fortune and, whatever your views on the right and wrongs of the deployment, they`re obviously needed far more over in Afghanistan.

I think that for decades that Germany has been a cool down, R&R for want of a better word.

After Afghanistan, I would imagine it is required even more.

I think that for decades that Germany has been a cool down, R&R for want of a better word.

After Afghanistan, I would imagine it is required even more.

I thought that the army returned to Malta after operations, but why can't they 'cool down' here in the UK? It's a good question though as to why we're still in Germany, didn't the FRG contribute financially to the British Army of the Rhine? I wonder if Germany still do.

Over 20,000 troops and god knows how many million pounds worth of equipment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Forces_Germany

I only know from some old pals of mine, that after NI they looked forward to Germany as a good posting.

Obviously they preferred back home, or even better the Mediterranean posts as you rightly say.

The last time I looked into this, some years ago, the cost of having them stationed abroad instead of here still was being paid by Germany, and it was chiefly to do with Germany still being under treaty obligation to have no army that was remotely capable of being large enough to invade another country.

That treaty obligation, technically at least, is still in force. However I don't really see that it needs to be. Germany today is no more likely to succumb to an imperialistic, war-mongering leader than any other European country.

If you want to send the troops from Germany to Afghanistan, what are you going to do with their families? - Are you going to send them to Afghanistan as well?

At the moment, there are some troops in Germany, some in the UK and some in Afghanistan.

Do you intend to send them all to Afghanistan all of the time?

Of course, British Soldiers are never supposed to be at home, they're always supposed to be in Afghanistan and because there's no housing for them in theUK, we should send their wives and children out there too.

Would you like to go first, Justin, just to make sure there are no problems?

Once you've got it all sorted out, send an e-mail and let us know.

I only know from some old pals of mine, that after NI they looked forward to Germany as a good posting.

Obviously they preferred back home, or even better the Mediterranean posts as you rightly say.

LMFAO!

Which would you rather have?

A tour in NI (Get your arse shot off, if it doesn't rot off in the rain.)

A tour in Germany

A tour in the UK . sub-standard housing (per Harold Wilsod: "Nothing is too good for our troops ... let's give them nothing"

(Thatcher said 'If those buggers aren't going to give you somewhere decent to live, you'd better buy your own house.' - but didn't give them the money to do so.)

Your friends might've preferred a posting back home, but why should they have had to put up with abysmal housing? - And that's what was on offer.

Archived