Speeding in built-up areas.

Don't rely too much on the sat nav, it doesn't give a completely accurate speed reading. When you set off from standing, it doesn't progressively show your speed in 1mph increments, but "jumps".

I also read this somewhere:

If speedos are so inaccurate why do we get so many saying they were caught by a speed camera doing only 33-34mph? If speedos show the speed faster, surely they were only going around 30mph in the first place?

Thanks for the science lesson. Makes sense now. I was looking at readings over time at a constant speed but will make sure I am on the level next time. I read somewhere that speedos are all calibrated to read slightly faster than reality. My last car was only 1 mph out at 30.

I read somewhere that speedos are all calibrated to read slightly faster than reality

Apparently the car manufacturer can be prosecuted if the speedometer reads too low, so it's fairly inevitable that they will deliberately build in an error of reading too high; that way, if an accidental error of reading too low sneaks in, the net result is the speedometer will still be legal.

If speedos are so inaccurate why do we get so many saying they were caught by a speed camera doing only 33-34mph? If speedos show the speed faster, surely they were only going around 30mph in the first place?

No you're reading it the wrong way round.

If the camera says 33-34, the speedo would have read 37-38

No you're reading it the wrong way round.

If the camera says 33-34, the speedo would have read 37-38

Yeah, but they always claim they were doing 30 or upto 33.

If this were the case, the camera wouldn't trigger if their speedo was showing faster than they were actually going.

Archived