BT Phone Bill - It's Good To Talk?

Just had my BT phone bill this morning for another quarter (they seem to come round quick). The rental charge is £38 pq and cost of calls £20. We don't even rent a phone from BT these days like we used to, so why are these charges so high? Surely the telephone network of today needs far less maintenace than it did 20 or so years ago, yet in comparison, the line rental charge seems really high these days..? :confused:

Thats not bad at all I dont think. I'm with BT and for my calls my broadband and a £5 monthly charge for cheaper calls to countries abroad...I pay £69.50 per MONTH.....and thats with a discount for renewing my broadband with bt too.

Heard lots of bad things about Talk Talk, mainly their lack of customer service.

Like one guy who had a fault on his line that would in the past have been rectified free by BT (maybe not now) - but the guy had to report it to Talk Talk, who then had to get BT to rectify the problem, and the guy had to pay the BT bill and a surcharge to Talk Talk for arranging the repair.

There is nothing I would like better than to ditch BT, but if things go wrong, you still seem to be best off being with them.

Heard lots of bad things about Talk Talk, mainly their lack of customer service.

Like one guy who had a fault on his line that would in the past have been rectified free by BT (maybe not now) - but the guy had to report it to Talk Talk, who then had to get BT to rectify the problem, and the guy had to pay the BT bill and a surcharge to Talk Talk for arranging the repair.

There is nothing I would like better than to ditch BT, but if things go wrong, you still seem to be best off being with them.

The above sounds like rubbish. TalkTalk leases the line from BT who are still responsible for maintaining the line. If there are any faults then there should be no charge by either TalkTalk or BT for rectifying that fault. In fact its possible to claim compo if the fault is not rectified within a given time. I have been with TalkTalk for a while and the only annoying problem is with their call centres, any faults that have occurred have been rectified fairly quickly. From experience, a lot of the so called faults have been down to the consumer and not a fault of the provider.

TalkTalk is much cheaper than BT for almost the same service and over the past 3 years has saved me £100's.

My line rental is £16.25 a month including anytime calls. That's just the cost of todays living...

I've ended up with TalkTalk after they bought out other ISP's.

So I get my broadband, telephone line rental and evening/weekend calls including 10 major countries for £18 per month.

I'm with plus net £18 a month for phone line and internet and still get e&w calls plus voicemail BT are diabolicle (sp) they let my ex cancel my phone line when I'm the account holder, you can never get to talk to anyone you can understand on the phone either

Archived