This mickey mouse government has no authority

Really? The coalition government has a majority of 59.1% The last government with a majority that comes anywhere close was back in 1931 with 55%. The prior to that it was back in 1900 for the Conservative and Liberal Unionists who received 50.3%.

In actual fact the last government to form with a majority larger than the present coalitions was all the way back in 1868 formed by Gladstone's Liberal Party. However the majority of the country was not even eligible to vote then.

You're talking percentage of votes cast not a majority of seats.

In most elections you'd get a similar percentage if you added the votes of the parties finishing first and third. The Lib / Lab "pact" of the 70's could claim a pretty similar percentage.

That doesn’t change the fact the two parties have formed a government that represents 59.1% of the UK population.

CON 36.1%

LAB 29.0%

LD 23.0%

Others 11.9%

So lets follow your logic, 64% didn’t vote Con and 76% didn’t vote LD but yet we got a Con / Lib party ……… :huh:

Hunting with hounds is about control not eradication which can be the result of the death by road accidents suffered by many of our native species.

I will only and have only ever supported fox hunting for the purpose of controlling fox numbers for the express reason that hunting with hounds is the most effective and humane method of dispatching a fox. I have never supported fox hunting for sport, nor do I support any other methods of hunting with hounds as they use is not necessary e.g. stag hunting.

While I understand there is a need for foxes to be controlled I cannot see that being torn to bits by hounds is the most humane method, I would have thought a bullet would be much more humane. Then again I guess it would take all the fun of the chase away for the hunters which is what it is all about, not how quickly the fox dies.

You're talking percentage of votes cast not a majority of seats.

When did I ever talk about seats? That was you. I have always been talking about the majority of the vote.

In most elections you'd get a similar percentage if you added the votes of the parties finishing first and third. The Lib / Lab "pact" of the 70's could claim a pretty similar percentage.

But there was already a majority in the house so there was no need to form a coalition plus even with this in mind, no Lib/Lab pact in the 70's would have resulted in larger majority then we have today with the Con/Lib coalition.

CON 36.1%

LAB 29.0%

LD 23.0%

Others 11.9%

So lets follow your logic, 64% didn’t vote Con and 76% didn’t vote LD but yet we got a Con / Lib party ……… :huh:

You do not add the inverse of the results to find the answer. Did you ever pass basic maths? The only reason you are skewing the results is you can’t bare to accept your favoured party lost and is dead in the water.

Going by your logic, 64.8% of the country did not want the Labour party in 2005, but we still got a labour government didn't we. However, the coalition government represents 59.1% of the population by encompassing two parties.

Get over it otherwise that chip will grow to biblical proportions and you will end up a lifelong member of the Sheffield Forum, cantankerous old gits brigade. You lost, there is nothing dignified about whining and moaning about it. Fade away like Gordon Brown.

You do not add the inverse of the results to find the answer. Did you ever pass basic maths? The only reason you are skewing the results is you can’t bare to accept your favoured party lost and is dead in the water.

You started the adding parties votes together nonsense, people that voted Lib obviously didn’t vote Con but that’s what they got, we have a first past the post system and even after all Labs failings the Con still didn’t muster enough support to pass the “winning line

When did I ever talk about seats? That was you. I have always been talking about the majority of the vote.

No you didn't - you just stated majority. Let me quote you (post #34 of this thread);

"And the current government won the largest majority in history."

Parliamentary majorities are always expressed in terms of seats - not percentage of the vote.

This present coalition is not a properly elected government and therefore has no authority.

Are you saying that no coalition can ever be considered a properly elected government, or just the current one?

If the former, what is your opinion of previous Lib-Lab pacts, such as the one in the 1970s?

Archived