Household wealth falls by 5-6% during recession

Nope, what has that got to do with the thread?

Adolf Hitler must have been the worlds greatest economist by your criteria.

In 1933 the average German probably only had a couple of thousand Reich Marks to his name but by late 1945 had billions. Indeed most required a wheel barrow to bring home the wages at the end of each working day.

Adolf Hitler must have been the worlds greatest economist by your criteria.

In 1933 the average German probably only had a couple of thousand Reich Marks to his name but by late 1945 had billions. Indeed most required a wheel barrow to bring home the wages at the end of each working day.

Hurrah! Someone with an understanding of economics! Welcome to the thread...with much relief!

Nope, what has that got to do with the thread?

I'm mearly going back to the title of the thread that "Household wealth falls by 5-6% during recession"... but only for the unlucky ones who work in the private sector. Now the same is about to happen in the public sector & we are seeing tears & militant attitudes abound!

WELCOME ALONG TO THE REAL WORLD!!!

Hurrah! Someone with an understanding of economics! Welcome to the thread...with much relief!

Can I have the benefit of your economics knowledge then.

Let me phrase the questions as simply as possible, please feel free to question any aspect of the facts I present:

1997 (when Labour came to power)- UK total wealth around 3 Trillion

2007/2008 (as global recession start)- UK wealth has peaked at 9 Trillion

2010 (Coalition comes to power)- The recession has dropped this to around 8.5 Trillion

So four simple questions for the benefit of your knowledge:

The first is to you see that as an acceptable level of increase during the period in question?

The second is how you or anyone else can genuinely say Labour screwed up the economy?

The third is why does everyone keep saying we are broke when it is quit patently obvious that this isn’t the case?

The fourth is rather than decimating Public Services, instead should we not take some of the money back from those who have obviously made a lot and use this for example to build new schools for our children?

All said without the insults, hope you can manage to keep it that way.

I'm mearly going back to the title of the thread that "Household wealth falls by 5-6% during recession"... but only for the unlucky ones who work in the private sector. Now the same is about to happen in the public sector & we are seeing tears & militant attitudes abound!

WELCOME ALONG TO THE REAL WORLD!!!

I work in the Private Sector, my net wealth has increased enormously during this period.

For the record, in 1997 I worked for the Public Sector and I now receive around 50% more in earnings than I did then and I have a better pension scheme.

I concede though that this is not the case for everyone!

The fourth is rather than decimating Public Services, instead should we not take some of the money back from those who have obviously made a lot and use this for example to build new schools for our children?

like who?

and, having identified them then how do you take this money if they have either spent it or invested it in very illiquid assets.

2010 (Coalition comes to power)- The recession has dropped this to around 8.5 Trillion

most of this alleged value is non-existent because its based on an asset bubble which at some point needs to burst. you also couldn't turn this into real money and useful rate as that would collapse the value.

its also mostly owned by individuals not the state, so are you advocating some sort of "land grab" by the state?

Can I have the benefit of your economics knowledge then.

Let me phrase the questions as simply as possible, please feel free to question any aspect of the facts I present:

So four simple questions for the benefit of your knowledge:

The first is to you see that as an acceptable level of increase during the period in question?

The second is how you or anyone else can genuinely say Labour screwed up the economy?

The third is why does everyone keep saying we are broke when it is quit patently obvious that this isn’t the case?

All said without the insults, hope you can manage to keep it that way.

Here we go again...right...the figures you quote are the wealth of the NATION (i.e. it's citizens) not the GOVERNMENT / STATE (the administration)!

Figures quoted for the wealth of the citizens are very dubious because they take into account real chattels (real estate / property). These assets are estimated as they are not all for sale on the current market, & what their real true value would only be found out if a sale was possible. A good example of this figure estimating was seen when the houses were originally valued for what is now council tax. Blanket valuing is worthless & many people have sucessfully claimed on their 'bandings' & had their bill reduced.

What needs to be asked is how much of the increase in wealth of the nation is down to benefits from the state? Income support, family tax credit, final salary pensions for state employees etc. You have to question that in making the citizens more prosperous, has it bankrupted the state in the process?

The wealth of the citizens is estimated & we all know how badly wrong estimations can be! Supertram & Wembley Stadium are fine examples to quote!

The debt of the state is real....not estimated.

We are back to the old chestnut of public services....what public services? Give me some examples please as where i'm sitting there are none or badly administered! Lets pull down half the bottom of the Moor & then not have any money to do anything with it....whats that all about? Planning...what planning?

I suppose it depends on your point of view? Do you subscribe to the JF Kennedy speach of "Ask not what your country can do for you....but what you can do for your country"?

Archived