Ageing lefties in denial!

I saw this a couple of days ago and it made a lot of sense when thinking about the people I know.

Are ageing lefties in denial?

A study is being used to support the theory many educated, middle-aged left-wingers are in fact conservatives who can't admit it. Is this true? It is the cynic's perennial view of youthful idealism: that each student radical will turn sharply to the right once the pay cheques start coming in and the mortgage needs to be paid.

read more: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-10633782

Yes we are in denial.....it's difficult to come to terms with what we were and what we've now become. It's a bit like understanding our feminine side...something a "righty" would never do in case of being called a pufta.

Love the way that report used two completely different characters played by the same actor as to somehow connect the two aspects of political thinking. Then again they are those that will be dragged in in the same way idiots are influenced by the DM headline.

You need to define lefty. I have lost count of the number of obscure interpretations of "left wing" I have come across.

When talking about "left wing" and "right wing" there are a breadth of social and economic factors to consider, not to mention the construct of the state and its role in determining such factors.

While it's convenient to collect people into nice, neat ideological packages, a debate around such simplistic labelling can't be taken seriously.

Archived