English language too hard?

Possibly in Java? Or maybe a computer gizmo.

Sorry. I forgot you guys had a UK education. Javanese is spoken on Java.

That, for the geography exam grade Ds and below, is an Island in Indonesia.

(A bit up from Australia and quite near Thailand)

I'm going for daft liberal ideals in the education system.

I was walking past a school near my place yesterday. The new students must have regulation hair cuts.

For the boys, that means a number 1 while the girls must have hair cut before their shoulders. They don't do it. they don't go to school.

That is a school specifically for kids interested in a navy/merchant navy career so they get them ready for what they will have in real life.

All schools have a Monday morning flag parade. The whole school is out there while the national flag is raised in military fashion. The teachers and kids salute the flag and then the headmaster.

Punishment is available to teachers out here but it's not used much because it's rarely needed. An example would be, if a pupil is late for the flag parade, they have to clean the toilets. The kids dislike being late.

The first thing they learn is the value of education and it sticks.

it didn't hinder me or my parents or their parents etc

It most certainly did; if English spelling were simplified, you and your ancestors would have learnt the language even more easily than you did manage to learn it.

There are two different facts here; one, that English spelling is unnecessarily complicated and adds to the difficulty of learning to read. Two, that education standards in Britain are appallingly bad. Simplifying the spelling would make English easier to learn, but it would not alter the latter fact; standards would still be appallingly bad.

The complexity of the English spelling system is to blame for soaring levels of illiteracy among teenagers, according to a researcher.

Hang on, if illiteracy is currently "soaring", yet the English language hasn't suddenly gotten more complicated over the last 20-30 years, then something else is clearly amiss. Occam's Razor and all that.

Could poor teaching methods be the culprit?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/7880189/English-spelling-too-difficult-for-children.html

In my opinion that horse poo. I know 11 year old kids from Indonesian villages that speak, read and write in English.

If English kids can't it has to be down to useless teachers or a crap education system.

Opinion?

Yeah, it's crap but the English language does have words that sound the same but have different meanings e.g. flower, flour and son and sun etc. I can't see that that is to blame though.

All schools have a Monday morning flag parade. The whole school is out there while the national flag is raised in military fashion. The teachers and kids salute the flag and then the headmaster.

Punishment is available to teachers out here but it's not used much because it's rarely needed. An example would be, if a pupil is late for the flag parade, they have to clean the toilets. The kids dislike being late.

The first thing they learn is the value of education and it sticks.

glad to see that some order exists but given that we here are dictated by the government and reasons only known to them have got it in their heads how to run our schools. when i went to school (over 30 years ago) me and my black/asian mates stood side by side in assembly (i dont know if this would happen today ) what with cultural diversity. then if we were in trouble we were punished by the cane/slipper etc last i heard they get a pink slip and sent home:huh:(whats all that about)regarding the saluting of the flag this would take to long given the amount of different races in schools and we couldnt salute one without the other for fear of (A) upsetting someone(B)getting sued because little tarquin/mohhamed hurt his arm while raising the said flag.i think some kids of today see that they have the schools/teachers over a barrel and they can do what they like and education comes second .

It most certainly did; if English spelling were simplified, you and your ancestors would have learnt the language even more easily than you did manage to learn it.

the point though, is that they didn't find it particularly difficult

I'm going for daft liberal ideals in the education system.

I don't understand how saluting a flag is the basis for a wonderful education. If you measure success on an adult literacy rate the west will always win. We're the most literate people on the planet.

Yeah, it's crap but the English language does have words that sound the same but have different meanings e.g. flower, flour

Homophones.

I don't understand how saluting a flag is the basis for a wonderful education. If you measure success on an adult literacy rate the west will always win. We're the most literate people on the planet.

Because it helps create an climate of respect that is lost in UK schools.

Do school kids shake the teacher's hand at the each end of the school day in the UK?

Hang on, if illiteracy is currently "soaring", yet the English language hasn't suddenly gotten more complicated over the last 20-30 years, then something else is clearly amiss. Occam's Razor and all that.

Could poor teaching methods be the culprit?

Yes, but parents are to blame by not correcting them at home when they go wrong. That is, providing the parents are educated enough to know, which is probably the core of the problem.

I never came across the word "gotten" at school, but I've come across this http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jlawler/aue/gotten.html

Archived