Lying to kids about heaven.. why insult their intelligence? ?

If and when I have kids I'm gonna go with the wise words of Mufasa:

Mufasa: Everything you see exists together in a delicate balance. As king, you need to understand that balance and respect all the creatures, from the crawling ant to the leaping antelope.

Young Simba: But, Dad, don't we eat the antelope?

Mufasa: Yes, Simba, but let me explain. When we die, our bodies become the grass, and the antelope eat the grass. And so we are all connnected in the great Circle of Life.

Hakuna Matata!

Because life is hard enough! At least let them be innocent and free while they are little. Same goes for father christmas, tooth fairy, easter bunny e.t.c, why lie about all that stuff? It's called imagination and fun, they'll learn the sad facts of life soon enough!!

Exactly.....:thumbsup:

I'm not sure it is better, it would be easier for me to explain, but that would be to my benefit wouldn't it.

It wasn't easy for me to tell my kids that a thunderstorm is nothing other than the giants moving their furniture round and how we wished that they would shut up and let us have some peace.......I told them when they were about 14 that I was really terrified of them and now I can just go and chill out in the bathroom when they happen but... I did my job....they aren't bothered by them and laugh at me for being so....

Why is it a lie?
It's not if the parent really believes it. For it to be a lie there has to be an intent to deceive. As it is it's just wrong. It's not lying to your child but just telling them something that isn't true, there is a difference.

Anyway prove they don't.

That's not how the world works, burden of proof goes the other way.

Why is it a lie?

If "you" believe to be true, where's the harm.

Anyway prove they don't.

I can't disprove they don't, I can't disprove my daughters claims that her invisible friend is the one that messes her bedroom up either, although Iv'e always suspected that 6ft invisible bunny rabbit that she plays with.

That's not how the world works, burden of proof goes the other way.

I'm happy for it not to be proven - i genuinely don't care. Am i going to heaven - i genuinely don't think it exists, but i can't prove it doesn't so i'm happy to let people believe they will go there.

Because life is hard enough! At least let them be innocent and free while they are little. Same goes for father christmas, tooth fairy, easter bunny e.t.c, why lie about all that stuff? It's called imagination and fun, they'll learn the sad facts of life soon enough!!

Parents deceive their kids terribly. For many years they tell them all about father Christmas and The Easter bunny, then when they reach a certain age if the child mentions either they tell them not to be stupid as they do not exist! Such a basis for trust! Parents also spend ages teaching their kids to walk and talk, then when they become proficient at it they tell them to sit down and shut up! No wonder kids are confused!

Parents deceive their kids terribly. For many years they tell them all about father Christmas and The Easter bunny, then when they reach a certain age if the child mentions either they tell them not to be stupid as they do not exist! Such a basis for trust! Parents also spend ages teaching their kids to walk and talk, then when they become proficient at it they tell them to sit down and shut up! No wonder kids are confused!
:hihi: Classic.

Archived