When will we be rid of The Nativity?

I very, very faintly remember the Nativity from school, it was the standard play they did - I remember in much greater detail the two none-nativity plays from primary school, one was the Trojan Horse, and one was a play written by the teacher about a Vegetarian Wolf. I also enjoyed both of these much more.

I think it should be taught as part of RE (although I think we could drop that) in the basic sense of 'these are the major celebrations of each faith, and what they believe'.

I see no problem in teaching children about a higher power.

This is something we have to live with life long.

Always we have someone above us in the food chain.

The sooner we learn the better.

This does not mean we have to acquiesce, oh no.

We learn how to manipulate that power for our own good.

Many are good at this, The Blairs, Clintons, Kennedys etc.

The majority are useless at it, the artisans etc. :hihi:

But we all need to know about the system, and its control.

That surely is the main message of the Nativity.

It is all about the power of the ruling classes, and the subjugation of the poor working class man.

I'd say it's the subjugation of the poor woman who didn't consent to her impregnation and couldn't find an inn. And wasn't Joseph of royal descent? Anyway, Joseph was never a big part of the story, even though he was a moral hero for his time - he stood by Mary, despite not being the father of her child. That's rare even today, let alone 2000 years ago.

The message of the Nativity can be communicated as a parable. There's no need to tell the kids it's true for the story to be inspiring.

I think all religion should be taught as "this is what Christians believe", "this is what Muslims believe", "this is what Buddhists believe" "this is what athiests believe"

It is then up to the child as they grow up to decide which they think is true or not.

Amen to that:)

Anyway' date=' Joseph was never a big part of the story, even though he was a moral hero for his time - he stood by Mary, despite not being the father of her child. That's rare even today, let alone 2000 years ago. [/quote']

Actually he'd been put under the cosh by the Three Wise Men, one of whom had aroused the rabble (Jerry Springer), another who'd provided the all important DNA results (Jeremy Kyle) and a third who'd negotiated a compromise agreement (Judge Judy).

I see no problem in teaching children about a higher power.

This is something we have to live with life long.

Always we have someone above us in the food chain.

The sooner we learn the better.

This does not mean we have to acquiesce, oh no.

We learn how to manipulate that power for our own good.

Many are good at this, The Blairs, Clintons, Kennedys etc.

The majority are useless at it, the artisans etc. :hihi:

But we all need to know about the system, and its control.

That surely is the main message of the Nativity.

It is all about the power of the ruling classes, and the subjugation of the poor working class man.

You didn't include Stalin, I wonder why, Comrade.

Archived